Aug 10, 2010, 9:46 AM EST
When your ace is on the hill and the team you’re chasing in the standings is coming up to bat in the first inning, you had best be ready to go. It’s a lesson Cardinals’ shortstop Brendan Ryan won’t soon forget:
Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter confronted shortstop Brendan Ryan in the dugout on Monday for not being ready for the start of the game.
Carpenter had to wait for Ryan to take his position, then get the correct glove, before beginning the bottom of the first inning.
After the inning, Carpenter asked Ryan to join him in the tunnel adjacent to the St. Louis dugout. Television cameras showed Carpenter speaking sternly to Ryan, with Ryan staring back at Carpenter, then nodding at the end of the discussion.
Later, when Ryan misplayed a ball, Carpenter yelled from the mound, though not directly at Ryan. According to the Sporting News, Ryan did not talk to the media after the game.
If only there was someone on the Reds who could give a talking to their screwup middle infielder . . .
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27