Aug 10, 2010, 9:46 AM EDT
When your ace is on the hill and the team you’re chasing in the standings is coming up to bat in the first inning, you had best be ready to go. It’s a lesson Cardinals’ shortstop Brendan Ryan won’t soon forget:
Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter confronted shortstop Brendan Ryan in the dugout on Monday for not being ready for the start of the game.
Carpenter had to wait for Ryan to take his position, then get the correct glove, before beginning the bottom of the first inning.
After the inning, Carpenter asked Ryan to join him in the tunnel adjacent to the St. Louis dugout. Television cameras showed Carpenter speaking sternly to Ryan, with Ryan staring back at Carpenter, then nodding at the end of the discussion.
Later, when Ryan misplayed a ball, Carpenter yelled from the mound, though not directly at Ryan. According to the Sporting News, Ryan did not talk to the media after the game.
If only there was someone on the Reds who could give a talking to their screwup middle infielder . . .
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 46
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 25
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)