Aug 10, 2010, 9:46 AM EDT
When your ace is on the hill and the team you’re chasing in the standings is coming up to bat in the first inning, you had best be ready to go. It’s a lesson Cardinals’ shortstop Brendan Ryan won’t soon forget:
Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter confronted shortstop Brendan Ryan in the dugout on Monday for not being ready for the start of the game.
Carpenter had to wait for Ryan to take his position, then get the correct glove, before beginning the bottom of the first inning.
After the inning, Carpenter asked Ryan to join him in the tunnel adjacent to the St. Louis dugout. Television cameras showed Carpenter speaking sternly to Ryan, with Ryan staring back at Carpenter, then nodding at the end of the discussion.
Later, when Ryan misplayed a ball, Carpenter yelled from the mound, though not directly at Ryan. According to the Sporting News, Ryan did not talk to the media after the game.
If only there was someone on the Reds who could give a talking to their screwup middle infielder . . .
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)