Aug 10, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
You wouldn’t think that a couple of coaches being fired in Pittsburgh would make that big a fuss, but Joe Kerrigan and Gary Varsho’s firings have tongues wagging all over the Pittsburgh sports blogosphere.
The Baseball Codes blog does some historical digging, and via the mining of some past reporting on Kerrigan — specifically, in Joe Torre’s memoir and some reporting by Tracy Ringolsby — notes that he has a reputation for being a “clubhouse mole,” who reports things behind the manager’s back and back up to the front office on a regular basis.
InsidePittsburghSports.com went further in its Sunday night report:
“One veteran front-office executive said this of Kerrigan upon his
hiring by the Pirates, ‘John Russell better have his head on a swivel
because he has a manager killer on his staff now. Joe Kerrigan might be
the biggest backstabber in baseball.’”
So much drama in the PNC, it was gettin’ hard being manager Jim Tra-cy.
Well, it’s John Russell, but that doesn’t work with the rhyme. And really, does it matter at this point in the season?
(thanks to reader Bill S. for the heads up)
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 0
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 108
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 65
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)