Aug 10, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
You wouldn’t think that a couple of coaches being fired in Pittsburgh would make that big a fuss, but Joe Kerrigan and Gary Varsho’s firings have tongues wagging all over the Pittsburgh sports blogosphere.
The Baseball Codes blog does some historical digging, and via the mining of some past reporting on Kerrigan — specifically, in Joe Torre’s memoir and some reporting by Tracy Ringolsby — notes that he has a reputation for being a “clubhouse mole,” who reports things behind the manager’s back and back up to the front office on a regular basis.
InsidePittsburghSports.com went further in its Sunday night report:
“One veteran front-office executive said this of Kerrigan upon his
hiring by the Pirates, ‘John Russell better have his head on a swivel
because he has a manager killer on his staff now. Joe Kerrigan might be
the biggest backstabber in baseball.'”
So much drama in the PNC, it was gettin’ hard being manager Jim Tra-cy.
Well, it’s John Russell, but that doesn’t work with the rhyme. And really, does it matter at this point in the season?
(thanks to reader Bill S. for the heads up)
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 28
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 96
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 72
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 72
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)