Mark Teixeira leaves Yankees to be with pregnant wife

Aug 10, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT

Mark Teixeira was not on the Yankees’ team flight to Texas yesterday and could miss the two-game series against the Rangers that begins tonight to be with his pregnant wife.
Teixeira’s wife is scheduled to give birth at some point today, so it’s possible but unlikely he could rejoin the team in time to face C.J. Wilson and the Rangers at 8:05 p.m. ET tonight.
If he doesn’t make it back in time Lance Berkman will likely fill in. As he does seemingly every season Teixeira has followed up a poor April by hitting .287/.384/.557 with 24 homers and 76 RBIs in 89 games since May 1.

1. geoknows - Aug 10, 2010 at 12:56 PM

His wife is not “scheduled” to give birth today; her due date is today. Everybody knows that the actual due date is the one day you can plan on the baby NOT being born.

2. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM

We’d’ve been better off if we had evolved as egg-laying monotremes. It’s ridiculous for viviparous mammals to try to keep a schedule with our females parturating all over the damned place like this. True, deprived of the gift of neoteny the little bastards waste anyway, our kids’ brains would be smaller and less well developed, but considering the level of their reading and math skills these days who the hell would notice?

3. El Bravo - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Why don’t these jerks make babies during fantasy (er, baseball) season and pop em out in the off season!!!!!???? Why is Sexy Texy impregnating his wife in Dec? Isn’t that in his contract or something? All ballplayers should be forced to make the bacon via contractual obligation strictly between February and May so that their children are guaranteed off season babies…OR, they should be forced to be complete assholes and miss the birth to play some hardball! Their kids will forgive them by spending all the parents’ mooolah and becoming super spoiled brats.

4. CG - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Fun fact:
    CC and his wife had a baby a few days ago
    Teixera and his wife are having a baby any day now.
    around 9 months ago the yanks won the world series

5. El Bravo - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM

OK, totally getting it on after a W.S. win is fine by me. That should be the one exception to my previous post. Still it pisses me off that Tex is leaving a gaping hole in my fantasy matchup this week!

6. jloss - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Wow, Gator. I consider myself a pretty intelligent college math professor, but even I had a hard time with all those words. Monotremes? Viviparous? Parturating? You’re forcing me to spend too much time at dictionary.com and less on Hardball Talk.
    Craig, can we do something about this? How about a dictionary link on the right, beneath the current search box?
    I do agree with you, Gator, about our declining reading and math skills, though. I witness it each semester. In fact, the nation as a whole seems to be declining in education. The College Board just reported that the US is now 12th in the world in percentage of population between 25-36 with a college degree. We used to be 1st!! What happened?!
    So, on second thought, I guess it’s okay for you to display your veritable cornucopia of vernacular in order to keep my brain cells active and growing.

7. The Real Shuxion - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Based on his size I thought he ate his young.
    Nah, just kidding, congrats to both from a Red Sox fan.

8. Md23Rewls - Aug 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Bahahaha. Championships are responsible for new lives.

9. RichardInBigD - Aug 10, 2010 at 2:18 PM

We’ve dropprd in rank on the degree front because more and more kids are getting drafted out of high school!

10. Kiwicricket - Aug 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Make 20million a season…just won the series…you would think they could find a chick at a bar afterwards

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4077)