Aug 10, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
Orlando Hernandez has been promoted to Double-A after posting a 1.50 ERA and 9/0 K/BB ratio in six innings as a reliever in rookie-ball.
Shutting down hitters who were often closer to one-third his age than half his age is impressive on a certain level, but obviously the big test for Hernandez will be whether his raw stuff is still good enough to get more experienced competition out at age 44.
He hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2007, but a decent showing at Double-A could get him to Washington as a reliever in September.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59