Aug 10, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
The Pirates traded minor league catcher Luke Carlin to the Indians today for a player to be named later. That this is as minor a trade as can possibly be is illustrated by the fact that the most significant part of it — Carlin, the guy who was actually named — has really only had one nice minor league season, and that came on his fourth go-around in the Pacific Coast League. A prospect, he is not.
But there is some value here, and that’s that the transaction got me wondering how such a deal even comes together on this particular day at this particular time of year.
Who calls who first? Do the Indians really covet Carlin? Did they simply need an organizational soldier at catcher and spun the wheel? How long does it take for such deals to come together? Is the player to-be-named really just a fiction or an IOU designed to make it look like Carlin was just given away? What I mean is, do the Pirates just let this skate until they need their own organizational soldier sometime next year, or is the player to-be-named a to-do item on some intern’s desk?
Sorry, this is just the stuff I think about.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (91)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional