Aug 10, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
The Pirates traded minor league catcher Luke Carlin to the Indians today for a player to be named later. That this is as minor a trade as can possibly be is illustrated by the fact that the most significant part of it — Carlin, the guy who was actually named — has really only had one nice minor league season, and that came on his fourth go-around in the Pacific Coast League. A prospect, he is not.
But there is some value here, and that’s that the transaction got me wondering how such a deal even comes together on this particular day at this particular time of year.
Who calls who first? Do the Indians really covet Carlin? Did they simply need an organizational soldier at catcher and spun the wheel? How long does it take for such deals to come together? Is the player to-be-named really just a fiction or an IOU designed to make it look like Carlin was just given away? What I mean is, do the Pirates just let this skate until they need their own organizational soldier sometime next year, or is the player to-be-named a to-do item on some intern’s desk?
Sorry, this is just the stuff I think about.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)