Aug 10, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
First Brandon Phillips couldn’t back up the smack he spewed at the Cardinals, and now the Giants are unhappy with Jonathan Sanchez for his prediction that San Francisco would sweep San Diego next weekend:
Manager Bruce Bochy said some Giants were giving Sanchez a “hard time” about his statement,
and not in a good way. The teammates were said to be annoyed that
Sanchez made his bold prediction after he lasted only four innings and
allowed four runs in a 6-3 loss to the Braves on Sunday.
Trash talk is complicated business. My first impulse is to dislike it because I’m just wired that way, but I eventually come around to the idea that this is still a freakin’ game and a little color makes it way more enjoyable for everyone. Phillips and Sanchez aren’t putting my but on the line by whatever they say, and unless you believe that ballplayers are way more moody and fragile than all reason suggests they really are, it doesn’t mean the difference between winning and losing.
But I think we can all agree that there are rules about it. Rule number one: if you’re going to talk smack, you had better back it up (note: Phillips went 0 for 5 last night). Rule number two: when you just crapped the bed (Sanchez lasted only four innings against Atlanta) you had best save your talk for a couple of days.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)