Aug 10, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
First Brandon Phillips couldn’t back up the smack he spewed at the Cardinals, and now the Giants are unhappy with Jonathan Sanchez for his prediction that San Francisco would sweep San Diego next weekend:
Manager Bruce Bochy said some Giants were giving Sanchez a “hard time” about his statement,
and not in a good way. The teammates were said to be annoyed that
Sanchez made his bold prediction after he lasted only four innings and
allowed four runs in a 6-3 loss to the Braves on Sunday.
Trash talk is complicated business. My first impulse is to dislike it because I’m just wired that way, but I eventually come around to the idea that this is still a freakin’ game and a little color makes it way more enjoyable for everyone. Phillips and Sanchez aren’t putting my but on the line by whatever they say, and unless you believe that ballplayers are way more moody and fragile than all reason suggests they really are, it doesn’t mean the difference between winning and losing.
But I think we can all agree that there are rules about it. Rule number one: if you’re going to talk smack, you had better back it up (note: Phillips went 0 for 5 last night). Rule number two: when you just crapped the bed (Sanchez lasted only four innings against Atlanta) you had best save your talk for a couple of days.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)