Aug 10, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
First Brandon Phillips couldn’t back up the smack he spewed at the Cardinals, and now the Giants are unhappy with Jonathan Sanchez for his prediction that San Francisco would sweep San Diego next weekend:
Manager Bruce Bochy said some Giants were giving Sanchez a “hard time” about his statement,
and not in a good way. The teammates were said to be annoyed that
Sanchez made his bold prediction after he lasted only four innings and
allowed four runs in a 6-3 loss to the Braves on Sunday.
Trash talk is complicated business. My first impulse is to dislike it because I’m just wired that way, but I eventually come around to the idea that this is still a freakin’ game and a little color makes it way more enjoyable for everyone. Phillips and Sanchez aren’t putting my but on the line by whatever they say, and unless you believe that ballplayers are way more moody and fragile than all reason suggests they really are, it doesn’t mean the difference between winning and losing.
But I think we can all agree that there are rules about it. Rule number one: if you’re going to talk smack, you had better back it up (note: Phillips went 0 for 5 last night). Rule number two: when you just crapped the bed (Sanchez lasted only four innings against Atlanta) you had best save your talk for a couple of days.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 58
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)