Aug 10, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
First Brandon Phillips couldn’t back up the smack he spewed at the Cardinals, and now the Giants are unhappy with Jonathan Sanchez for his prediction that San Francisco would sweep San Diego next weekend:
Manager Bruce Bochy said some Giants were giving Sanchez a “hard time” about his statement,
and not in a good way. The teammates were said to be annoyed that
Sanchez made his bold prediction after he lasted only four innings and
allowed four runs in a 6-3 loss to the Braves on Sunday.
Trash talk is complicated business. My first impulse is to dislike it because I’m just wired that way, but I eventually come around to the idea that this is still a freakin’ game and a little color makes it way more enjoyable for everyone. Phillips and Sanchez aren’t putting my but on the line by whatever they say, and unless you believe that ballplayers are way more moody and fragile than all reason suggests they really are, it doesn’t mean the difference between winning and losing.
But I think we can all agree that there are rules about it. Rule number one: if you’re going to talk smack, you had better back it up (note: Phillips went 0 for 5 last night). Rule number two: when you just crapped the bed (Sanchez lasted only four innings against Atlanta) you had best save your talk for a couple of days.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)