Aug 10, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Curtis Granderson has been a huge disappointment in his first season with the Yankees, posting career-lows in batting average (.240), on-base percentage (.307), and slugging percentage (.417).
What’s interesting about Granderson’s career-worst production is that his numbers against right-handed pitching (.259/.339/.492) are only about six percent worse than his career mark. The bigger difference has been his total inability to hit left-handed pitching while getting more playing time against southpaws than ever before.
Granderson has never handled lefties well, hitting just .210/.267/.336 against them for his career, but after going 0-for-3 versus Jon Lester yesterday–including a strikeout with the bases loaded in the seventh inning–he’s now batting just .206/.243/.275 off southpaws this season.
That represents a 15 percent drop in production, which is compounded by the fact that Granderson has already racked up 110 plate appearances versus lefties. So far this year 33 percent of his trips to the plate have come versus lefties, compared to 23 percent prior to this season.
In moving to the AL East he’s facing far more lefties than ever before and Joe Girardi has been far less willing to bench him against lefties than Jim Leyland was in Detroit. Granderson is 29 years old and has 800 career plate appearances of a sub-.600 OPS versus lefties. For a team with the Yankees’ record and resources he has no business being in the lineup against them at this point. Finding him a platoon partner shouldn’t be that hard.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)