Am I missing something with this Jose Reyes-Jerry Manuel thing?

Aug 11, 2010, 11:33 AM EDT

Jeff Francoeur isn’t the only source of controversy in Queens right now. There’s a little thing going on between Jose Reyes and Jerry Manuel.  I’m not sure I understand the dispute, though.

Reyes had a big error in Sunday’s game against the Phillies.  Jerry Manuel said afterwards that he thought Reyes was having problems concentrating. Yesterday “an unsmiling and somewhat defiant Reyes” denied this. But to me his denial sounds like an admission that, yeah, sometimes he loses concentration:

“I don’t think so. I play shortstop one way, and that has never changed. How many pitches
do they throw to home plate? Sometimes it’s hard to get ready for every
pitch, but I try to do my best.”

Um, OK.

Maybe the dispute is meaningless. Far more meaningful is why a veteran like Reyes finds it hard to get ready for every pitch. Because while we all make mistakes, there’s not much more important than, you know, being ready.

1. YankeesfanLen - Aug 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM

“Every pitch? I’m supposed to watch Every pitch? Hell, they only hit one third of them, and a lot foul. Why can’t I wear my iPod out here, those guys aren’t doin’ much”.
    As Derek Jeter crosses the bridge, bat in hand……

2. Ace2000 - Aug 11, 2010 at 11:50 AM

It’s not that he has trouble concentrating. He just has difficulty staying focused.

3. BC - Aug 11, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Here’s some more on this. My thinking is that he’s starting to try to play his way out of New York.

4. John_Michael - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:03 PM

How many Jose Reyeses does it take to change a light bulb?
    Wanna go ride bikes?

5. Simon DelMonte - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Gotta say that this is a bigger deal by far than Frenchy’s comments. Even if there is no dispute, there are still lingering questions about a very, very talented player who seems to get lost far too often.
    Assuming that the Mets make an effort to retool during the off-season – and I don’t see them doing nothing again, even with the payroll – Reyes might be moving closer to the top of the list of tradeables.
    And if there is a dispute…well, I think right now it doesn’t really affect things. The Mets are not making the playoffs (barring the sort of collapse that no other team does, twice), and Jerry is not coming back. This is all about Jose.

6. Jonny5 - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I think that Reyes is extremely talented and the fact that he, did someone say bike ride? I’m in!

7. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Thank God we have Derek Jeter. I mean, what did people do before him? I pity non-Yankee fans.

8. turf24 - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

This guy is such a waste of talent, though it could be argued that if he didn’t play in new york he wouldn’t be talked about as one of the top shortstops in the game. Also the fact that he, hold on bike rides? Let’s go

9. SadPandaRevolt - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Give that man some ritalin!

10. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Win!

11. Utley's hair - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Is there a rule–written or not–that says that Jerry can’t have somebody standing behind the home plate umpire swinging a shiny object or something?

12. Cantankerous - Aug 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I think the biggest problem here is that Jerry Manuel, once again, is calling out his players in public. All this will do is cause the issue to become larger than it really is and it will just fester. Does this happen nearly as often with other managers?

All the trade deadline news to know