Aug 11, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Matt Lindstrom served up a pair of homers last night to blow his sixth save, which is tied for second-most among all closers, but afterward Astros manager Brad Mills replied “not at all, he’s our guy” when asked if he was considering a switch in the ninth inning.
Third baseman Chris Johnson expressed a similar sentiment, saying “he’s our closer” and “if we’re up tomorrow by one I hope he comes into the game.”
Brian McTaggart of MLB.com notes that Lindstrom has been pitching through back spasms for the past couple weeks and suggests that might be to blame for blowing two saves in his last three appearances. While that may indeed be a factor, the bigger issue is that Lindstrom just isn’t all that good.
Lindstrom ranks among the MLB leaders in average fastball velocity every season and so he looks like a closer, but that has never equated to a ton of strikeouts and his control has always been spotty. He had a 5.89 ERA for the Marlins last season and has a 3.86 career mark with a .274 opponents’ batting average and 181/87 K/BB ratio in 215 innings.
He’s a solid setup man and a mediocre closer.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (170)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (85)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)