Aug 11, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Matt Lindstrom served up a pair of homers last night to blow his sixth save, which is tied for second-most among all closers, but afterward Astros manager Brad Mills replied “not at all, he’s our guy” when asked if he was considering a switch in the ninth inning.
Third baseman Chris Johnson expressed a similar sentiment, saying “he’s our closer” and “if we’re up tomorrow by one I hope he comes into the game.”
Brian McTaggart of MLB.com notes that Lindstrom has been pitching through back spasms for the past couple weeks and suggests that might be to blame for blowing two saves in his last three appearances. While that may indeed be a factor, the bigger issue is that Lindstrom just isn’t all that good.
Lindstrom ranks among the MLB leaders in average fastball velocity every season and so he looks like a closer, but that has never equated to a ton of strikeouts and his control has always been spotty. He had a 5.89 ERA for the Marlins last season and has a 3.86 career mark with a .274 opponents’ batting average and 181/87 K/BB ratio in 215 innings.
He’s a solid setup man and a mediocre closer.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)