Aug 11, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
“Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world’s first bionic pitcher. Ben Sheets will be that man.”
Unless someone spoke those words before Ben Sheets surgery yesterday, his career looks about as close to over as you can imagine. Because rather than just needing his flexor and pronator tendons, repaired it turns out that he needed Tommy John surgery too.
The recovery time was already going to be over a year. With TJ surgery added on, it has to be more. At some point, you have to wonder if that kind of time and that kind of work is going to be worth it for Sheets.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 55
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 18
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29