Aug 11, 2010, 4:55 PM EST
That’s how you deal with trash talk and cleat-kicking and all of that stuff.
Colby Rasmus’ grand slam in the fifth broke it open on the way to a 6-1 Cardinals’ victory, resulting in a sweep of the Reds. But this game was defined by Adam Wainwright. He pitched two-hit ball over seven shutout innings, running his record to 17-6 and pushing his ERA down to 1.99. shutting down the Reds’ bats and, presumably shutting the mouth of Brandon Phillips for a little while. Phillips, for what it’s worth, was 2 for 14 in the series.
The Cardinals are now one game up on in the standings. But, if the silence of the Great American Ballpark crowd and dejected demeanor of the Reds players as they packed up their stuff in the dugout after game is any guide, they are about a million miles ahead of the Reds in morale.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)