Aug 11, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
That’s how you deal with trash talk and cleat-kicking and all of that stuff.
Colby Rasmus’ grand slam in the fifth broke it open on the way to a 6-1 Cardinals’ victory, resulting in a sweep of the Reds. But this game was defined by Adam Wainwright. He pitched two-hit ball over seven shutout innings, running his record to 17-6 and pushing his ERA down to 1.99. shutting down the Reds’ bats and, presumably shutting the mouth of Brandon Phillips for a little while. Phillips, for what it’s worth, was 2 for 14 in the series.
The Cardinals are now one game up on in the standings. But, if the silence of the Great American Ballpark crowd and dejected demeanor of the Reds players as they packed up their stuff in the dugout after game is any guide, they are about a million miles ahead of the Reds in morale.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)