Aug 11, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
That’s how you deal with trash talk and cleat-kicking and all of that stuff.
Colby Rasmus’ grand slam in the fifth broke it open on the way to a 6-1 Cardinals’ victory, resulting in a sweep of the Reds. But this game was defined by Adam Wainwright. He pitched two-hit ball over seven shutout innings, running his record to 17-6 and pushing his ERA down to 1.99. shutting down the Reds’ bats and, presumably shutting the mouth of Brandon Phillips for a little while. Phillips, for what it’s worth, was 2 for 14 in the series.
The Cardinals are now one game up on in the standings. But, if the silence of the Great American Ballpark crowd and dejected demeanor of the Reds players as they packed up their stuff in the dugout after game is any guide, they are about a million miles ahead of the Reds in morale.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 6
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)