Aug 11, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
As expected, the Dodgers have placed Rafael Furcal on the disabled list with a strained lower back and called up Juan Castro from Triple-A to replace him on the roster.
After sitting out part of April and most of May with a hamstring injury Furcal hit .319/.381/.518 with eight homers, 26 total extra-base hits, 10 steals, and 41 runs in 57 games before landing back on the shelf.
He hasn’t played since August 2 and the DL stint is retroactive, so he’ll be eligible to return next week if healthy. Jamey Carroll will continue to fill in for Furcal at shortstop, with Castro serving as a utility man.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut