Aug 11, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
As expected, the Dodgers have placed Rafael Furcal on the disabled list with a strained lower back and called up Juan Castro from Triple-A to replace him on the roster.
After sitting out part of April and most of May with a hamstring injury Furcal hit .319/.381/.518 with eight homers, 26 total extra-base hits, 10 steals, and 41 runs in 57 games before landing back on the shelf.
He hasn’t played since August 2 and the DL stint is retroactive, so he’ll be eligible to return next week if healthy. Jamey Carroll will continue to fill in for Furcal at shortstop, with Castro serving as a utility man.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)