Aug 11, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT
As first reported by Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants have acquired second baseman Mike Fontenot from the Cubs for minor-league outfielder Evan Crawford.
The Cubs are playing a series in San Francisco this week, so all Fontenot has to do is change out of his blue-and-white batting practice gear and don some black-and-orange. He’s probably ecstatic to be joining a pennant race and he should see his former Cubs and LSU double-play mate Ryan Theriot more frequently now that they are both out west.
Fontenot, 30, was batting just .284/.332/.402 with one homer in 169 at-bats for Chicago and is no better defensively than Freddy Sanchez, but we have to assume that he will work in a backup role anyway. Plus, it’s not like the Giants gave up much. Crawford, 22, is batting just .255/.319/.366 in 109 games at Single-A Augusta. He has some speed, but that might not be enough to carry him all the way to the big leagues.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 76
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (189)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)