Aug 11, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
Matt Kemp is out of the Dodgers’ lineup tonight for the second straight game and since he said yesterday that there’s nothing wrong with him physically … well, that means he’s simply been benched. Again.
Kemp has had a disappointing season on both sides of the ball and is just 2-for-21 since a five-hit game on August 2, but his .260/.317/.451 overall line is hardly awful and obviously his track record is good enough that it just seems odd that the Dodgers are so willing to jerk him around at age 25.
Tonight manager Joe Torre is sitting Kemp in favor of left-handed hitters Scott Podsednik and Jay Gibbons versus right-hander Roy Oswalt. Perhaps that’s not completely insane on a one-game, platoon-based level, but Kemp has a 50-point edge over Podsednik in career OPS versus righties and obviously there’s something beyond that going on here.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)