Aug 11, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
Matt Kemp is out of the Dodgers’ lineup tonight for the second straight game and since he said yesterday that there’s nothing wrong with him physically … well, that means he’s simply been benched. Again.
Kemp has had a disappointing season on both sides of the ball and is just 2-for-21 since a five-hit game on August 2, but his .260/.317/.451 overall line is hardly awful and obviously his track record is good enough that it just seems odd that the Dodgers are so willing to jerk him around at age 25.
Tonight manager Joe Torre is sitting Kemp in favor of left-handed hitters Scott Podsednik and Jay Gibbons versus right-hander Roy Oswalt. Perhaps that’s not completely insane on a one-game, platoon-based level, but Kemp has a 50-point edge over Podsednik in career OPS versus righties and obviously there’s something beyond that going on here.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)