Aug 11, 2010, 4:17 PM EST
Matt Kemp is out of the Dodgers’ lineup tonight for the second straight game and since he said yesterday that there’s nothing wrong with him physically … well, that means he’s simply been benched. Again.
Kemp has had a disappointing season on both sides of the ball and is just 2-for-21 since a five-hit game on August 2, but his .260/.317/.451 overall line is hardly awful and obviously his track record is good enough that it just seems odd that the Dodgers are so willing to jerk him around at age 25.
Tonight manager Joe Torre is sitting Kemp in favor of left-handed hitters Scott Podsednik and Jay Gibbons versus right-hander Roy Oswalt. Perhaps that’s not completely insane on a one-game, platoon-based level, but Kemp has a 50-point edge over Podsednik in career OPS versus righties and obviously there’s something beyond that going on here.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)