Julian Casablancas of The Strokes wants to write a Mets song

Aug 11, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT

I’m not sure how Mets fans will feel about this, but The Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas said in a recent Rolling Stone interview he wants to write a new television theme song for the team:

My next thing is I want to write the new TV theme song for the Mets. I’m totally serious. I have some ideas, I have to see if they like it.

It couldn’t be any worse than the song Scott Stapp did for the Marlins, right?

1. Utley's hair - Aug 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Okay…I’ll get it out of the way. A Mutts song written by the frontman of the Strokes (the jokes practically write themselves)–why not find a band called the Chokes?

2. Simon DelMonte - Aug 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Meet the Mets
    Meet the Mets
    Step right up and greet the Mets.
    How can you do better than that?

3. Md23Rewls - Aug 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Please let this happen. Anything to make the Mets more of a joke than they already are. A theme song? Really? What’s next, a stupid mascot? Oh wait, already got that down.

4. Lt. Colombo - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM

@Md23Rewls
    If you have a problem with Mr. Met, you have a problem with me.

5. Benny Blanco - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I find your posts a complete waste of time.

6. Simon DelMonte - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I appreciate all that Mr. Met has done for New York. Through good times and bad at Shea and at Citi, he’s been a giant head of light and love.

7. avg joe - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:38 PM

It can’t be any worse than gb leighton’s ‘This is Twins Territory’ song.

8. The Rabbit - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Just like a man….It’s always about head.

9. Old Gator - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Yes it can. Try “The Marlins will Soar.” Worse than that? “The Star Spangled Banner,” maybe, but you’d have to turn to the long version of “In-a-gadda-da-vida” to find a worse piece of music, period.

10. Lt. Colombo - Aug 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM

If you don’t like Mr. Met, you don’t like a baseball, which means you don’t like baseball itself. Thus, MD23REWLS, you are a troll.

11. JBerardi - Aug 11, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Didn’t some rapper already do this for the Mets a few years back?

12. doctorfunke - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I completely agree, that song is terrible! I’ve noticed they have been playing it less and less. Too bad they’ve replaced it with other songs that are almost as bad. Baseball coverage could use more bands like The Strokes, so I’m all for Julian going for it.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet