Kung fu Cueto emerges as brawl villain

Aug 11, 2010, 2:53 AM EDT

One interesting result of the big Cardinals-Reds square dance on Tuesday night – aside from the fact that only the managers were ejected, is that Brandon Phillips was not the one to emerge as Public Enemy No. 1.

(You can see different videos of the brawl here, here and here.)

The real post-brawl villain was Cincinnati kicker – I mean pitcher – Johnny Cueto, who went all kung fu in a panic after he was shoved against the net behind home plate. Cueto said he was trying to protect himself, but the Cardinals said he was reckless in lashing out with his cleats, giving St. Louis pitcher Chris Carpenter some scrapes on his back and sides, and catcher Jason LaRue a potential concussion.

From John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

“All I know is we exchanged words and the next thing I know I was in the net with somebody kicking me in the back from behind,” Chris Carpenter said. “I wasn’t throwing any punches, nobody was throwing any punches, and then we’ve got some guy kicking me in the back and ends up kicking my backup catcher in the face and splitting his face open.

The Cardinals said LaRue may have a concussion.

“He could have done some real damage (on LaRue), he got him in the side of his eye, he got him in his nose, he got him in his face. Totally unprofessional. Unbelievable. I’ve never seen anything like that. He got kicked square in the side of the face with spikes. C’mon, give me a break.”

Like on Monday, the Cardinals got the last laugh, winning 8-4 to move into first place in the NL Central. Cueto (11-3) took the loss, allowing five runs (four earned) and 5.1 innings.

Now we’ve got some serious juice in this division race, a race that some think could go all the way to the end. The teams lock horns again on Wednesday, then again for a three-game series in St. Louis in early September. Buckle up folks, it’s going to be a fun ride.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. Florioisanidiot1 - Aug 11, 2010 at 11:57 AM

None of you would shake a mans hand, if he walked up and offered it, if he called you a little bitch the day before and said he hated you. If you did then you are spineless period!! BP started this whole thing and Molina was only doing what any SELFrespeciting man would do. BUT to all you Reds fans agreeing with BP and making all your snide comments give me a break!
    ——————-
    Again, don’t agree with BP saying what he said, but Molina proved him right last night. A real man would have just ignored it.
    Not to mention, these comments came out before Monday’s game. Cards knew about them Monday night and didn’t care. That is, until the media started hyping it and talking about how its true.
    Carpenter and Molina proved it lastnight.

2. willmose - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Let’s settle this once and for all, it comes to whiney little bitches, it is a toss up between the Yankees and Red Sox.

3. Bob Harkins - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

So are the feet in this case!

4. 10Championships - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Florio you must let people walk all over you, I personally dont. Insult me or my family and you will be picking yourself up of the floor. Now go ahead all you internet tough guys start insulting, it’s fine you are home safe behind your computers, but to those of us who live our lives in the real world and who dont let jerks flap thier gums because they think there is no reprocussions guess again. In the end I will be home watching my Cardinals in playoff baseball this October, just like I do almost every October. I’m curious Cincy fans, what do you guys usually do in October? Most likely you all do what BP does, he ists and watches the Cards play while he turns green with envy, that turns to hatred and then fuels his little outbursts…jealousy is a bitch, deal with it!!

5. Florioisanidiot1 - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM

—————————————-
    Oh no! He said he doesn’t like you. Your manhood must be shattered.
    Funny how if you watch the video, multiple Reds players come out to break it up, whereas guys like Carpenter, LaRussa Lopez and LaRue come out jawing.
    Larue got hurt because he was going after Cueto, and Cueto defended himself.
    Rolen came out to keep the peace and Carpenter went after him.

6. Florioisanidiot1 - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Carpenter can’t even get along with his own teammates for that matter.

7. Dan - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Florio, reread what I said. The taps were not going to hurt Molina but it was stupid for BP to even think about doing it. And he did it a second time knowing Molina wasn’t happy about the first tap.

8. 10Championships - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Florio all I will say is not only did your inept reds get swept they got POUNDED in each and every game (outscored 21-8). Say anything you want because in the end you got beat and according to most of you reds fans you got beat by a bunch of little bitches who jaw too much etc etc. Well if we are little bitches what does that make the team who got stomped by them? We are in first place, you are not. We have dominated you on the feild this year, you have sucked. I mean really what can you say now? Nothing you say holds water cause we just stomped you guys on your own field. You are sad and pathetic. Oh yes and Mr Mouth Phillips went 2-14 (maybe he should have tried playing on one leg as he suggested!). You can talk the talk but you sure as hell cant walk the walk!

9. Florioisanidiot1 - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:55 PM

lol you remind me of someone who belongs on the show Jersey Shore.
    Every time someone looks at you funny your manhood is questioned and you’re ready to fight. Lol.

10. 10Championships - Aug 11, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Good idea to change the subject from baseball, you didn’t have a leg to stand on there. I think we can both agree the reds suck…period. You lost..BAD. Got blown out of the water and swept. Now you can try and continue your personal attacks on me since your baseball team cant stand up to the cardinals, hell they couldn’t even give us a good game in the most important series of the year so far. LOLOLOLOL

11. Florioisanidiot1 - Aug 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM

no personal attack, straight observation. You’re acting very defensive. LOL
    We’ll see who’s at the top of the standings at the end of the season.

12. stayclassySD - Aug 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Your entire argument is wrong. First, Cueto ran behind everyone on his own and ran directly into the worst spot possible. Second, he was pinned by his own players so to say he was trying to protect himself means his own players are dangerous, either that or they hate him too. People who are panicking and trying to protect themselves will indiscriminately hit anything in their way, except Cueto only hit Cardinal players. Lastly, who fights like that, seriously?
    Brandon Phillips started the whole thing by being a moron and Dusty Baker, who has a history of enabling hot-headed players (remember in 2004 when he allowed Zambrano to hit Edmonds twice in the same game while yelling at the Cardinals bench). Phillips said emphatically that he HATES the Cardinals, HATES, while also calling them bit-hes. If you’re going to say that, be a man and expect that heat that comes with it, don’t try to act like you’re their friend right after that. Honestly, what did Phillips expect Molina to do? If Molina says “don’t touch me”, then don’t touch him! Total effing moron.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3818)