Aug 11, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was excused from this week’s two-game series against the Rangers to be with his wife in labor.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Leigh Teixeira gave birth to the couple’s third child on Tuesday — a healthy baby boy named William Charles — and the slugging first baseman is expected to rejoin the Yanks on Thursday when they being a weekend set in Kansas City.
The Yanks fell in extra innings to Texas on Tuesday night and are attempting to salvage the quick series right now. Lance Berkman has started at first base both nights in Teixeira’s absence. The trade deadline addition is batting .161/.235/.226 with two extra-base hits and three walks in 34 plate appearances since arriving in New York.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)