Aug 11, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was excused from this week’s two-game series against the Rangers to be with his wife in labor.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Leigh Teixeira gave birth to the couple’s third child on Tuesday — a healthy baby boy named William Charles — and the slugging first baseman is expected to rejoin the Yanks on Thursday when they being a weekend set in Kansas City.
The Yanks fell in extra innings to Texas on Tuesday night and are attempting to salvage the quick series right now. Lance Berkman has started at first base both nights in Teixeira’s absence. The trade deadline addition is batting .161/.235/.226 with two extra-base hits and three walks in 34 plate appearances since arriving in New York.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead