Aug 11, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was excused from this week’s two-game series against the Rangers to be with his wife in labor.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Leigh Teixeira gave birth to the couple’s third child on Tuesday — a healthy baby boy named William Charles — and the slugging first baseman is expected to rejoin the Yanks on Thursday when they being a weekend set in Kansas City.
The Yanks fell in extra innings to Texas on Tuesday night and are attempting to salvage the quick series right now. Lance Berkman has started at first base both nights in Teixeira’s absence. The trade deadline addition is batting .161/.235/.226 with two extra-base hits and three walks in 34 plate appearances since arriving in New York.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 1
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 12
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)