Aug 11, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was excused from this week’s two-game series against the Rangers to be with his wife in labor.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Leigh Teixeira gave birth to the couple’s third child on Tuesday — a healthy baby boy named William Charles — and the slugging first baseman is expected to rejoin the Yanks on Thursday when they being a weekend set in Kansas City.
The Yanks fell in extra innings to Texas on Tuesday night and are attempting to salvage the quick series right now. Lance Berkman has started at first base both nights in Teixeira’s absence. The trade deadline addition is batting .161/.235/.226 with two extra-base hits and three walks in 34 plate appearances since arriving in New York.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 60
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (95)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)