Aug 11, 2010, 9:14 PM EST
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was excused from this week’s two-game series against the Rangers to be with his wife in labor.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, Leigh Teixeira gave birth to the couple’s third child on Tuesday — a healthy baby boy named William Charles — and the slugging first baseman is expected to rejoin the Yanks on Thursday when they being a weekend set in Kansas City.
The Yanks fell in extra innings to Texas on Tuesday night and are attempting to salvage the quick series right now. Lance Berkman has started at first base both nights in Teixeira’s absence. The trade deadline addition is batting .161/.235/.226 with two extra-base hits and three walks in 34 plate appearances since arriving in New York.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)