Aug 11, 2010, 3:01 PM EST
This is not a big surprise, but Jon Paul Morosi makes it official that Adam Dunn (a) was claimed on waivers; and (b) the time for a waiver deal to be worked out expired on Monday, thereby rendering any deal of Dunn impossible. I’ve heard speculation that the Dodgers claimed him and some counter-speculation that it was the Phillies. Probably doesn’t matter.
The interesting thing about all of this is what the Nats do now. As MLBTR reports, Dunn is definitely going to be a Type-A free agent, theoretically allowing the Nats to collect two draft picks for him. But if he goes to a team that signs other type-A free agents like the Yankees just might, that limits the Nats’ return because teams are only forced to give up so many picks.
Likewise, to get those picks, the Nats will have to arbitration. While I think it’s less likely that Dunn will accept this year than he might have in years past — there seems to be a growing appreciation of his skills these days — there’s a chance he might, and that would stick the Nats with a big one-year deal they may not want.
I’m a big Dunn whore, so it’s no surprise I’d be advocating for the Nats to re-sign him. But in this case, it might have the added benefit of being the smart play.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 35
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (90)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)