Aug 11, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
This is not a big surprise, but Jon Paul Morosi makes it official that Adam Dunn (a) was claimed on waivers; and (b) the time for a waiver deal to be worked out expired on Monday, thereby rendering any deal of Dunn impossible. I’ve heard speculation that the Dodgers claimed him and some counter-speculation that it was the Phillies. Probably doesn’t matter.
The interesting thing about all of this is what the Nats do now. As MLBTR reports, Dunn is definitely going to be a Type-A free agent, theoretically allowing the Nats to collect two draft picks for him. But if he goes to a team that signs other type-A free agents like the Yankees just might, that limits the Nats’ return because teams are only forced to give up so many picks.
Likewise, to get those picks, the Nats will have to arbitration. While I think it’s less likely that Dunn will accept this year than he might have in years past — there seems to be a growing appreciation of his skills these days — there’s a chance he might, and that would stick the Nats with a big one-year deal they may not want.
I’m a big Dunn whore, so it’s no surprise I’d be advocating for the Nats to re-sign him. But in this case, it might have the added benefit of being the smart play.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 8
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 34
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)