Aug 11, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
This is not a big surprise, but Jon Paul Morosi makes it official that Adam Dunn (a) was claimed on waivers; and (b) the time for a waiver deal to be worked out expired on Monday, thereby rendering any deal of Dunn impossible. I’ve heard speculation that the Dodgers claimed him and some counter-speculation that it was the Phillies. Probably doesn’t matter.
The interesting thing about all of this is what the Nats do now. As MLBTR reports, Dunn is definitely going to be a Type-A free agent, theoretically allowing the Nats to collect two draft picks for him. But if he goes to a team that signs other type-A free agents like the Yankees just might, that limits the Nats’ return because teams are only forced to give up so many picks.
Likewise, to get those picks, the Nats will have to arbitration. While I think it’s less likely that Dunn will accept this year than he might have in years past — there seems to be a growing appreciation of his skills these days — there’s a chance he might, and that would stick the Nats with a big one-year deal they may not want.
I’m a big Dunn whore, so it’s no surprise I’d be advocating for the Nats to re-sign him. But in this case, it might have the added benefit of being the smart play.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)