Aug 11, 2010, 3:01 PM EST
This is not a big surprise, but Jon Paul Morosi makes it official that Adam Dunn (a) was claimed on waivers; and (b) the time for a waiver deal to be worked out expired on Monday, thereby rendering any deal of Dunn impossible. I’ve heard speculation that the Dodgers claimed him and some counter-speculation that it was the Phillies. Probably doesn’t matter.
The interesting thing about all of this is what the Nats do now. As MLBTR reports, Dunn is definitely going to be a Type-A free agent, theoretically allowing the Nats to collect two draft picks for him. But if he goes to a team that signs other type-A free agents like the Yankees just might, that limits the Nats’ return because teams are only forced to give up so many picks.
Likewise, to get those picks, the Nats will have to arbitration. While I think it’s less likely that Dunn will accept this year than he might have in years past — there seems to be a growing appreciation of his skills these days — there’s a chance he might, and that would stick the Nats with a big one-year deal they may not want.
I’m a big Dunn whore, so it’s no surprise I’d be advocating for the Nats to re-sign him. But in this case, it might have the added benefit of being the smart play.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)