Aug 11, 2010, 3:01 PM EST
This is not a big surprise, but Jon Paul Morosi makes it official that Adam Dunn (a) was claimed on waivers; and (b) the time for a waiver deal to be worked out expired on Monday, thereby rendering any deal of Dunn impossible. I’ve heard speculation that the Dodgers claimed him and some counter-speculation that it was the Phillies. Probably doesn’t matter.
The interesting thing about all of this is what the Nats do now. As MLBTR reports, Dunn is definitely going to be a Type-A free agent, theoretically allowing the Nats to collect two draft picks for him. But if he goes to a team that signs other type-A free agents like the Yankees just might, that limits the Nats’ return because teams are only forced to give up so many picks.
Likewise, to get those picks, the Nats will have to arbitration. While I think it’s less likely that Dunn will accept this year than he might have in years past — there seems to be a growing appreciation of his skills these days — there’s a chance he might, and that would stick the Nats with a big one-year deal they may not want.
I’m a big Dunn whore, so it’s no surprise I’d be advocating for the Nats to re-sign him. But in this case, it might have the added benefit of being the smart play.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)