Aug 11, 2010, 1:19 PM EST
Dodgers interest in Kansas City outfielder Jose Guillen is believed to be lukewarm at best, despite an Internet report that the interest was strong.
I don’t mean to pick on Gurnick because there’s no reason to doubt his report and as I wrote yesterday the Dodgers would be smart not to have much interest in Guillen, but the phrasing of that sentence is a pet peeve of mine.
If a report is good enough to follow up on and respond to, then it’s good enough to properly source. Calling it “an internet report” is just a way to dismiss it as unimportant, but clearly Rojas and ESPN Deportes are far from some random website and even if they were it’s silly to respond to a report when you’re not even willing to say who did the reporting.
After all, since Gurnick works for MLB.com anything he writes could technically just be called “an internet report” too. But what would be the point of that?
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)