Aug 11, 2010, 1:19 PM EST
Dodgers interest in Kansas City outfielder Jose Guillen is believed to be lukewarm at best, despite an Internet report that the interest was strong.
I don’t mean to pick on Gurnick because there’s no reason to doubt his report and as I wrote yesterday the Dodgers would be smart not to have much interest in Guillen, but the phrasing of that sentence is a pet peeve of mine.
If a report is good enough to follow up on and respond to, then it’s good enough to properly source. Calling it “an internet report” is just a way to dismiss it as unimportant, but clearly Rojas and ESPN Deportes are far from some random website and even if they were it’s silly to respond to a report when you’re not even willing to say who did the reporting.
After all, since Gurnick works for MLB.com anything he writes could technically just be called “an internet report” too. But what would be the point of that?
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)