Aug 11, 2010, 1:19 PM EST
Dodgers interest in Kansas City outfielder Jose Guillen is believed to be lukewarm at best, despite an Internet report that the interest was strong.
I don’t mean to pick on Gurnick because there’s no reason to doubt his report and as I wrote yesterday the Dodgers would be smart not to have much interest in Guillen, but the phrasing of that sentence is a pet peeve of mine.
If a report is good enough to follow up on and respond to, then it’s good enough to properly source. Calling it “an internet report” is just a way to dismiss it as unimportant, but clearly Rojas and ESPN Deportes are far from some random website and even if they were it’s silly to respond to a report when you’re not even willing to say who did the reporting.
After all, since Gurnick works for MLB.com anything he writes could technically just be called “an internet report” too. But what would be the point of that?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)