Aug 11, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
Dodgers interest in Kansas City outfielder Jose Guillen is believed to be lukewarm at best, despite an Internet report that the interest was strong.
I don’t mean to pick on Gurnick because there’s no reason to doubt his report and as I wrote yesterday the Dodgers would be smart not to have much interest in Guillen, but the phrasing of that sentence is a pet peeve of mine.
If a report is good enough to follow up on and respond to, then it’s good enough to properly source. Calling it “an internet report” is just a way to dismiss it as unimportant, but clearly Rojas and ESPN Deportes are far from some random website and even if they were it’s silly to respond to a report when you’re not even willing to say who did the reporting.
After all, since Gurnick works for MLB.com anything he writes could technically just be called “an internet report” too. But what would be the point of that?
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)