Aug 11, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
Now that he has some free time on his hands following his retirement after 22 seasons in the big leagues Randy Johnson attended Lollapalooza in Chicago last week … as a music photographer.
Here’s what the 46-year-old future Hall of Famer told Amy Sciarretto of NoiseCreep.com about his post-retirement plans:
This is my first summer available to go to shows, since I spent the last 26 years playing baseball, so my time was limited. I have four kids and usually there is a concert in Arizona I can go to. I’ve enjoyed music forever, and photography, so one plus one. I envy these photographers that shoot for the bands, taking great pictures, having total access and getting them published.
Through my professional career, I have had an opportunity to be friends with musicians, starting with Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, from when I lived in Seattle. I was up in that scene at the right time, seeing Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Now, I am living in Arizona, I’ve gone to shows and met a lot of different bands members and find out they are sports fanatics. It’s like the old adage that all rock stars want to be porn stars and all porn stars want to be rock stars; only in this case, the rockers want to be athletes and vice versa.
While you attempt to get that Randy Johnson-as-porn star image out of your head, Deadspin actually has a photo of The Big Unit snapping a picture of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron. He’s the 6-foot-10 guy holding a camera.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)