Aug 11, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Now that he has some free time on his hands following his retirement after 22 seasons in the big leagues Randy Johnson attended Lollapalooza in Chicago last week … as a music photographer.
Here’s what the 46-year-old future Hall of Famer told Amy Sciarretto of NoiseCreep.com about his post-retirement plans:
This is my first summer available to go to shows, since I spent the last 26 years playing baseball, so my time was limited. I have four kids and usually there is a concert in Arizona I can go to. I’ve enjoyed music forever, and photography, so one plus one. I envy these photographers that shoot for the bands, taking great pictures, having total access and getting them published.
Through my professional career, I have had an opportunity to be friends with musicians, starting with Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, from when I lived in Seattle. I was up in that scene at the right time, seeing Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Now, I am living in Arizona, I’ve gone to shows and met a lot of different bands members and find out they are sports fanatics. It’s like the old adage that all rock stars want to be porn stars and all porn stars want to be rock stars; only in this case, the rockers want to be athletes and vice versa.
While you attempt to get that Randy Johnson-as-porn star image out of your head, Deadspin actually has a photo of The Big Unit snapping a picture of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron. He’s the 6-foot-10 guy holding a camera.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)