Aug 11, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Now that he has some free time on his hands following his retirement after 22 seasons in the big leagues Randy Johnson attended Lollapalooza in Chicago last week … as a music photographer.
Here’s what the 46-year-old future Hall of Famer told Amy Sciarretto of NoiseCreep.com about his post-retirement plans:
This is my first summer available to go to shows, since I spent the last 26 years playing baseball, so my time was limited. I have four kids and usually there is a concert in Arizona I can go to. I’ve enjoyed music forever, and photography, so one plus one. I envy these photographers that shoot for the bands, taking great pictures, having total access and getting them published.
Through my professional career, I have had an opportunity to be friends with musicians, starting with Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, from when I lived in Seattle. I was up in that scene at the right time, seeing Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Now, I am living in Arizona, I’ve gone to shows and met a lot of different bands members and find out they are sports fanatics. It’s like the old adage that all rock stars want to be porn stars and all porn stars want to be rock stars; only in this case, the rockers want to be athletes and vice versa.
While you attempt to get that Randy Johnson-as-porn star image out of your head, Deadspin actually has a photo of The Big Unit snapping a picture of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron. He’s the 6-foot-10 guy holding a camera.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)