Aug 11, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
Now that he has some free time on his hands following his retirement after 22 seasons in the big leagues Randy Johnson attended Lollapalooza in Chicago last week … as a music photographer.
Here’s what the 46-year-old future Hall of Famer told Amy Sciarretto of NoiseCreep.com about his post-retirement plans:
This is my first summer available to go to shows, since I spent the last 26 years playing baseball, so my time was limited. I have four kids and usually there is a concert in Arizona I can go to. I’ve enjoyed music forever, and photography, so one plus one. I envy these photographers that shoot for the bands, taking great pictures, having total access and getting them published.
Through my professional career, I have had an opportunity to be friends with musicians, starting with Kim Thayil from Soundgarden, from when I lived in Seattle. I was up in that scene at the right time, seeing Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Now, I am living in Arizona, I’ve gone to shows and met a lot of different bands members and find out they are sports fanatics. It’s like the old adage that all rock stars want to be porn stars and all porn stars want to be rock stars; only in this case, the rockers want to be athletes and vice versa.
While you attempt to get that Randy Johnson-as-porn star image out of your head, Deadspin actually has a photo of The Big Unit snapping a picture of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron. He’s the 6-foot-10 guy holding a camera.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)