Aug 11, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
Jarrod Saltalamacchia is just 5-for-21 (.238) in five games at Triple-A since Boston acquired him from Texas on July 31, but with Kevin Cash headed to the disabled list with a hamstring injury the Red Sox are calling up Saltalamacchia for tonight’s game.
Saltalamacchia started at first base for Pawtucket last night and may not be totally over his well-documented throwing problems, so it’s unclear how much time he’ll see behind the plate in Boston.
He’s hit .251/.313/.388 through 874 plate appearances in the majors while battling various injuries and the 25-year-old switch-hitter also has a .252/.336/.449 mark in 83 games at Triple-A.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)