Aug 11, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
Jarrod Saltalamacchia is just 5-for-21 (.238) in five games at Triple-A since Boston acquired him from Texas on July 31, but with Kevin Cash headed to the disabled list with a hamstring injury the Red Sox are calling up Saltalamacchia for tonight’s game.
Saltalamacchia started at first base for Pawtucket last night and may not be totally over his well-documented throwing problems, so it’s unclear how much time he’ll see behind the plate in Boston.
He’s hit .251/.313/.388 through 874 plate appearances in the majors while battling various injuries and the 25-year-old switch-hitter also has a .252/.336/.449 mark in 83 games at Triple-A.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)