The Nationals are interested in Carl Crawford. Good luck with that.

Aug 11, 2010, 1:30 PM EDT

Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

MASN’s Ben Goessling reports that the Nationals have a “strong organizational interest” in Carl Crawford. Which either means that they want to sign him when he becomes a free agent or else they really think he can help them sort out their messy closets.

Which is all very cute, by the way. You’ll recall that the Nationals had a strong interest in Mark Teixeira a couple of years ago and that didn’t go anywhere. I don’t suspect they have a snowflake’s chance to land Crawford either.

The success cycle: learn it, live it, love it. And understand that unless you’re at a certain point in it (i.e. the top of it), top free agents aren’t really going to all that interested.

1. Jonny5 - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:54 PM

A wise old man once told me. (after I mentioned that word “hope”) He said “Son, hope in one hand and sheeit in the other hand, then you tell me which one fills up first”. A wise man indeed…..

2. Philip P - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Without speaking directly to Crawford’s interest or lack there of, the Nationals have made some significant strides towards contention and in a year or two they may not struggle to compete for some of the top free agents. The fact that someone like Adam Dunn is reported to prefer staying there may mean the Nats won’t even have to overpay to have a chance at signing someone. I’ll agree that because they are still 1-2 years away anyone wanting to win now could avoid them but the Nats considering someone like Crawford is becoming less of a pipe dream. As someone who grew up in Montreal, I only wish Les Expos had had the chance to compete for free agents back in the day.

3. Wooden U Lykteneau - Aug 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Oh, look. Craig’s picking on the Nationals. How novel. Perhaps a one-handed opus to Heyward is coming son?

4. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 11, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I don’t think it’s picking on the Nationals to note that (a) they are not contenders; and (b) that free agents prefer to sign with contenders.

5. bigtrav425 - Aug 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM

id love to see crawford in the NL.. i think he could even have more steals over there! possibly 100

6. Wooden U Lykteneau - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM

A) What part of “Which is all very cute, by the way” did I misinterpret? [That's a rhetorical question, counselor]
    B) When did DC become not local to Maryland, which is where Mark Teixeira grew up?

7. Craig Calcaterra - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM

The “cute” would be applicable to any team that has designs on signing a player who is highly unlikely to be interested in them. The Mariners. The Astros. The Cubs. I think I’ve written enough non-mocking stuff about the Nats in recent months to where I hope you’d appreciate that.
    I simply never bought the Teixeira/local thing. I can’t think of a time when that kind of consideration overcame the fact that a team wasn’t a contender.

8. Wooden U Lykteneau - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Points taken, but the ratio of mocking to non-mocking is nowhere near 50/50; hence the original post.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3952)