Aug 11, 2010, 9:17 AM EST
The Chipper Jones narrative this year has been “nice career, but he’s washed up and it’s just about over.” And there’s a lot of truth to that. But little noticed has been that Jones has rebounded nicely from a slow start. As Dave O’Brien notes over that the AJC, since mid-June, Jones has hit .304 with 10 doubles and seven home runs over 43
games. In the past week he’s hit three homers in seven
Now, however, he could be gone for the rest of the year. Jones is talking big and the preliminary diagnosis is a sprain, but the fact is that he crumpled to the ground last night, said that he heard a pop and Bobby Cox is openly talking about him being out for the rest of the season.
Which could be a killer. The Braves are already dealing with the loss of Martin Prado and — last night’s homer notwithstanding — a prolonged slump from Troy Glaus. They’ve needed Jones’ bat these last few weeks and will certainly need it in order to stay ahead of the Phillies.
Omar Infante is currently filling in for Prado. Which means that we’ll probably see last night’s hero Brooks Conrad or — if Bobby Cox is daring — either Glaus or Eric Hinske spend some time at third until Prado returns. No matter who fills in, however, Jones’ loss is a big one, both from a competitive perspective and for team morale.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)