Aug 11, 2010, 9:17 AM EST
The Chipper Jones narrative this year has been “nice career, but he’s washed up and it’s just about over.” And there’s a lot of truth to that. But little noticed has been that Jones has rebounded nicely from a slow start. As Dave O’Brien notes over that the AJC, since mid-June, Jones has hit .304 with 10 doubles and seven home runs over 43
games. In the past week he’s hit three homers in seven
Now, however, he could be gone for the rest of the year. Jones is talking big and the preliminary diagnosis is a sprain, but the fact is that he crumpled to the ground last night, said that he heard a pop and Bobby Cox is openly talking about him being out for the rest of the season.
Which could be a killer. The Braves are already dealing with the loss of Martin Prado and — last night’s homer notwithstanding — a prolonged slump from Troy Glaus. They’ve needed Jones’ bat these last few weeks and will certainly need it in order to stay ahead of the Phillies.
Omar Infante is currently filling in for Prado. Which means that we’ll probably see last night’s hero Brooks Conrad or — if Bobby Cox is daring — either Glaus or Eric Hinske spend some time at third until Prado returns. No matter who fills in, however, Jones’ loss is a big one, both from a competitive perspective and for team morale.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 0
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)