Tony La Russa didn't take his ejection well

Aug 11, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT

Yesterday’s fracas led to both Dusty Baker and Tony La Russa being ejected in the bottom of the first inning. I don’t know about Baker, but Bernie Miklasz reports that La Russa didn’t take his ejection well:

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa didn’t necessarily enjoy
watching the contest from his office. He claimed that he vomited
four times because his stomach was churning so violently throughout
the nine innings.

It was, for a while at least, a competitive game, with the Reds coming back a couple of times, but there are more than a handful of games each month that are tighter and (fight aside) more drama-filled.  The Cards played good baseball and, while it did get tight a couple of places, it felt like they were in control most of the game.

Which makes me wonder if La Russa’s upchucking was less a function of a tension-filled contest than it was a function of a man obsessed with being in control suddenly and unexpectedly being out of control.

For the sake of the man’s health, I hope he’s never fired or forced into retirement. It may kill him. He might barf up a lung and die on the spot.

1. Kevin S. - Aug 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Don’t lie, Craig. You know you’d relish in the agony of your enemy.

2. BC - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I have to say, this was one of the better brawls I’ve seen lately. Probably the best since Pedro threw down Don Zimmer. I miss basebrawl.

3. lar @ wezen-ball - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Or it was, you know, a man lying to make things much more dramatic than they should have been. It is Tony La Russa, after all…

4. Sam Lee - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I doubt he vomited. He’s a drama queen like lar says above. And his dressing down of a reporter for daring to ask a question when he didn’t want it was totally, uh, witchy if you know what I mean.

5. walk - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:21 AM

This brings back memories. I threw up few times watching the superbowl in 2000 when i was stationed in korea. That was a great night with soju being the drink of choice.

6. Paper Lions - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM

I vomit every time LaRussa replaces Rasmus late in a game so he can move Jay to CF and put Winn in RF. It isn’t often that you can downgrade on offense and at two defensive positions late in games with just a single move, but LaRussa manages to do it regularly.

7. bergwood - Aug 11, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Sure this wasn’t from the alcohol he was drinking??? Or did he fall asleep at the stop and go light again?
    He claimed that he vomited four times because his stomach was churning so violently throughout the nine innings.

8. Old Gator - Aug 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I never took my ejections well when I was a kid. I would yell and scream and try to run back out to the waiting room and mom and the doc would have to hold me down while the nurse rubbed alcohol on the target zone. But hay-soos, as we say in Macondo, I was five years old back then. Grow up, Tony. You’re supposed to be a lawyer.

9. Jonny5 - Aug 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM

La Russa is a total egomaniac, Drama queen. As a matter of fact he probably got sick trying to swallow his ego.

10. Alex K - Aug 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Or his 15th shot!

11. APBA Guy - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:07 PM

At this point it’s appropriate to run a photo of LaRussa dancing with a ballet local to Oakland. Not sure if he had a tutu on, but I do recall tights. Maybe that memory, plus 15 shots, unsettled his stomach.

12. murd - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

He was freaking out because he couldn’t get the message to the bench that he wanted all 4 infielders, then Duncan, then the peanut vendor in section 238 to all visit the mound with nobody on base in the 4th inning.

13. Jonny5 - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Maybe the cards are a bunch of whiney little bitches afterall?

14. willmose - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

There is a much simpler explanation. It was probably something Tony ate. Tony is a vegetarian. Eggs scambled in bacon fat, beef broth or chicken stock in his soup, anything like that would cause this kind of reaction.

15. paul - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Maybe Larussa is pregnant?
    Glad to see Cris Carpenter get knocked on his ass. Always wants to play tough guy. See the way he showed up his own teammate on Monday night? Always thought he was an outstanding pitcher but that p–sed me off monday night.

16. Donna - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM

LOL ! Think Larussa is whiny now, think what the wussy would be pregnant. I’m disappointed the Reds have lost 2 straight with the Cards, but it sure has been action-packed baseball that’s enjoyable to watch.

17. jack - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Geez! Do we need this level of detail in a sports story? I just had lunch, for crying out loud. Anyway, for a VERY FUNNY story about Brett Favre’s multiple retirements, go to http://newspile.weebly.com/

18. Mrsteve - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Larussa is a drunk

19. Spudchukar - Aug 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Whining? Almost every one of these comments need to be served with Brie! TLR was simply relating how difficult it can be when you are unable to do the job you are paid to do, particularly when hot-dogging Brandon Phillips is the instigator in this entire debacle. We will just keep on winning, you guys can keep on whining. The French have a phrase for new found success. Nouveau Riche. I think it applies to the Reds.

20. jkerch - Aug 11, 2010 at 6:03 PM

The only one I saw being a whiny b****, was Brandon Phillips. He went on record whining about the Cardinals, then got his butt handed to him in an important series. I think if you are going to whine like that, you had better be able to stand the competition.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4136)