Wily Mo Pena is raking. Who knew?

Aug 11, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT

I saw a tweet a few minutes ago from the Padres’ MLB.com feed in which the writer said “fans have been asking about Wily Mo Pena” followed by some analysis on why it’s so hard to call him up right now. Which inspired two questions: (1) Wily Mo Pena is with the Padres?; and (2) He’s actually playing well enough to where people want to call him up?

And I’ll be damned if the answer to both of those questions isn’t yes.  Pena is raking in Portland right now (signed by the Padres, Google tells me, last month after a stint in the independent Atlantic League). Only 19 games and 77 plate appearances so take it for what it’s worth, but he is hitting .377/.429/.609 with five homers.

This could just be a glitch in the matrix and nothing may come of it. But really, I figured we’d never hear from the guy again.

1. BC - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Dude hit one of the longest home runs I’ve ever seen when he was with Cincy. Hope he makes it back to MLB.

2. birdmancometh - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Sounds like a good bat off the bench. he’s like 8 ft and 350 poinds, so I doubt he can play D anymore, but Stairs hasn’t worked out, so why not give him a shot when rosters expand?

3. Jack Marshall - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Wily Mo just needed to play….he never got proper time in the minors. The Red Sox mishandled him, and the injury with the Nats sunk him. I wouldn’t bet against him having a career after all.

4. WellNow - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Ahh, Wily Mo…I remember those montser homers when he was with the Sox. I hope he gets another crack at the Majors.

5. adam - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I never realized Wily Mo Pena is Clinton Portis’ doppelganger.

6. Football - Aug 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Willy Mo for Bronson Arroyo. Nice move Theo.

7. JBerardi - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Technically, it went: Bronson Arroyo for nothing, Willy Mo for Bronson, Chris Carter for Willy Mo, Billy Wagner, Atlanta’s 20th overall pick for signing Wagner (highest pick Boston has had in nearly a decade), picked Kolbrin Vitek at 20 and signed him for $1,359,000.

So yeah, I think it worked out ok for Theo.

8. JBerardi - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I would bet against him having a career, unless he’s finally learned to lay off a breaking ball.

9. Steve C - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I remember him almost putting one over the monster on a broken bat hit.

10. Steve C - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM

In the PCL I’m pretty sure they play on little league fields or something. The entire league makes Arlington look spacious.

11. bigtrav425 - Aug 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM

didnt know the dude was still playing!..good for him for not giving up!

Three legends off to Cooperstown