Aug 11, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
I saw a tweet a few minutes ago from the Padres’ MLB.com feed in which the writer said “fans have been asking about Wily Mo Pena” followed by some analysis on why it’s so hard to call him up right now. Which inspired two questions: (1) Wily Mo Pena is with the Padres?; and (2) He’s actually playing well enough to where people want to call him up?
And I’ll be damned if the answer to both of those questions isn’t yes. Pena is raking in Portland right now (signed by the Padres, Google tells me, last month after a stint in the independent Atlantic League). Only 19 games and 77 plate appearances so take it for what it’s worth, but he is hitting .377/.429/.609 with five homers.
This could just be a glitch in the matrix and nothing may come of it. But really, I figured we’d never hear from the guy again.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)