Aug 11, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
I saw a tweet a few minutes ago from the Padres’ MLB.com feed in which the writer said “fans have been asking about Wily Mo Pena” followed by some analysis on why it’s so hard to call him up right now. Which inspired two questions: (1) Wily Mo Pena is with the Padres?; and (2) He’s actually playing well enough to where people want to call him up?
And I’ll be damned if the answer to both of those questions isn’t yes. Pena is raking in Portland right now (signed by the Padres, Google tells me, last month after a stint in the independent Atlantic League). Only 19 games and 77 plate appearances so take it for what it’s worth, but he is hitting .377/.429/.609 with five homers.
This could just be a glitch in the matrix and nothing may come of it. But really, I figured we’d never hear from the guy again.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 228
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (228)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (103)