Aug 11, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
I saw a tweet a few minutes ago from the Padres’ MLB.com feed in which the writer said “fans have been asking about Wily Mo Pena” followed by some analysis on why it’s so hard to call him up right now. Which inspired two questions: (1) Wily Mo Pena is with the Padres?; and (2) He’s actually playing well enough to where people want to call him up?
And I’ll be damned if the answer to both of those questions isn’t yes. Pena is raking in Portland right now (signed by the Padres, Google tells me, last month after a stint in the independent Atlantic League). Only 19 games and 77 plate appearances so take it for what it’s worth, but he is hitting .377/.429/.609 with five homers.
This could just be a glitch in the matrix and nothing may come of it. But really, I figured we’d never hear from the guy again.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)