Aug 11, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
I saw a tweet a few minutes ago from the Padres’ MLB.com feed in which the writer said “fans have been asking about Wily Mo Pena” followed by some analysis on why it’s so hard to call him up right now. Which inspired two questions: (1) Wily Mo Pena is with the Padres?; and (2) He’s actually playing well enough to where people want to call him up?
And I’ll be damned if the answer to both of those questions isn’t yes. Pena is raking in Portland right now (signed by the Padres, Google tells me, last month after a stint in the independent Atlantic League). Only 19 games and 77 plate appearances so take it for what it’s worth, but he is hitting .377/.429/.609 with five homers.
This could just be a glitch in the matrix and nothing may come of it. But really, I figured we’d never hear from the guy again.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 114
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (115)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (78)