Aug 12, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez was released from jail today after being charged with third degree assault and second-degree harassment. He was ordered to stay away from his his girlfriend’s father,* his girlfriend and his children until a subsequent hearing can be held in family court.
We’ve all been having a little bit of fun with the whole “look at those crazy Mets” thing today, but the details from K-Rod’s arraignment should remind us all that this is really no laughing matter:
The 28-year-old closer went into the family lounge, hauled his [girlfriend's father] into an adjoining tunnel and “repeatedly hit him in the
face and hit his head against a wall” before taking off, NYPD spokesman
Paul Browne said.
The prosecutor said today that there was “a history of violence” in K-Rod’s relationship, and that further investigation is being made into incidents in both California and Venezuela.
I’ve learned over the course of my legal career that you don’t take everything police spokesman and prosecutors say in such instances at 100% face value because, even if the broad strokes of the incident aren’t in doubt, the details of the events and the characterization of them often vary widely between accuser and accused. Maybe last night’s incident was harrowing and severe. Maybe it was less than your average slap fight among teenagers. We can’t say at this point in time because we weren’t there and the evidence hasn’t been presented or even disclosed.
But if the characterization of the police and prosecutors is accurate, Francisco Rodriguez has far more problems facing him than a couple of days away from his team and some bad press.
*Note: initial reports last night and those throughout the day today
identified Rodriguez’s alleged victim as his father-in-law. Rodriguez
is not married, however, and the alleged victim is the father of his
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)