Aug 12, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez was released from jail today after being charged with third degree assault and second-degree harassment. He was ordered to stay away from his his girlfriend’s father,* his girlfriend and his children until a subsequent hearing can be held in family court.
We’ve all been having a little bit of fun with the whole “look at those crazy Mets” thing today, but the details from K-Rod’s arraignment should remind us all that this is really no laughing matter:
The 28-year-old closer went into the family lounge, hauled his [girlfriend's father] into an adjoining tunnel and “repeatedly hit him in the
face and hit his head against a wall” before taking off, NYPD spokesman
Paul Browne said.
The prosecutor said today that there was “a history of violence” in K-Rod’s relationship, and that further investigation is being made into incidents in both California and Venezuela.
I’ve learned over the course of my legal career that you don’t take everything police spokesman and prosecutors say in such instances at 100% face value because, even if the broad strokes of the incident aren’t in doubt, the details of the events and the characterization of them often vary widely between accuser and accused. Maybe last night’s incident was harrowing and severe. Maybe it was less than your average slap fight among teenagers. We can’t say at this point in time because we weren’t there and the evidence hasn’t been presented or even disclosed.
But if the characterization of the police and prosecutors is accurate, Francisco Rodriguez has far more problems facing him than a couple of days away from his team and some bad press.
*Note: initial reports last night and those throughout the day today
identified Rodriguez’s alleged victim as his father-in-law. Rodriguez
is not married, however, and the alleged victim is the father of his
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 9
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 14
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 23
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 82
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 60
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)