Aug 12, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez was released from jail today after being charged with third degree assault and second-degree harassment. He was ordered to stay away from his his girlfriend’s father,* his girlfriend and his children until a subsequent hearing can be held in family court.
We’ve all been having a little bit of fun with the whole “look at those crazy Mets” thing today, but the details from K-Rod’s arraignment should remind us all that this is really no laughing matter:
The 28-year-old closer went into the family lounge, hauled his [girlfriend’s father] into an adjoining tunnel and “repeatedly hit him in the
face and hit his head against a wall” before taking off, NYPD spokesman
Paul Browne said.
The prosecutor said today that there was “a history of violence” in K-Rod’s relationship, and that further investigation is being made into incidents in both California and Venezuela.
I’ve learned over the course of my legal career that you don’t take everything police spokesman and prosecutors say in such instances at 100% face value because, even if the broad strokes of the incident aren’t in doubt, the details of the events and the characterization of them often vary widely between accuser and accused. Maybe last night’s incident was harrowing and severe. Maybe it was less than your average slap fight among teenagers. We can’t say at this point in time because we weren’t there and the evidence hasn’t been presented or even disclosed.
But if the characterization of the police and prosecutors is accurate, Francisco Rodriguez has far more problems facing him than a couple of days away from his team and some bad press.
*Note: initial reports last night and those throughout the day today
identified Rodriguez’s alleged victim as his father-in-law. Rodriguez
is not married, however, and the alleged victim is the father of his
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 0
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (174)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)