Francisco Rodriguez charged with third degree assault

Aug 12, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT

Francisco Rodriguez was released from jail today after being charged with third degree assault and second-degree harassment. He was ordered to stay away from his his girlfriend’s father,* his girlfriend and his children until a subsequent hearing can be held in family court.

We’ve all been having a little bit of fun with the whole “look at those crazy Mets” thing today, but the details from K-Rod’s arraignment should remind us all that this is really no laughing matter:

The 28-year-old closer went into the family lounge, hauled his [girlfriend's father] into an adjoining tunnel and “repeatedly hit him in the
face and hit his head against a wall” before taking off, NYPD spokesman
Paul Browne said.

The prosecutor said today that there was “a history of violence” in K-Rod’s relationship, and that further investigation is being made into incidents in both California and Venezuela.

I’ve learned over the course of my legal career that you don’t take everything police spokesman and prosecutors say in such instances at 100% face value because, even if the broad strokes of the incident aren’t in doubt, the details of the events and the characterization of them often vary widely between accuser and accused. Maybe last night’s incident was harrowing and severe. Maybe it was less than your average slap fight among teenagers. We can’t say at this point in time because we weren’t there and the evidence hasn’t been presented or even disclosed.

But if the characterization of the police and prosecutors is accurate, Francisco Rodriguez has far more problems facing him than a couple of days away from his team and some bad press.

*Note: initial reports last night and those throughout the day today
identified Rodriguez’s alleged victim as his father-in-law.  Rodriguez
is not married, however, and the alleged victim is the father of his
girlfriend.

1. El Bravo - Aug 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM

“a history of violence” is great movie, but what does it have to do with K-Rod’s marriage?

2. MdEagle - Aug 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM

History of violence? The guy punched himself in the head repeatedly after closing out the Phils on Saturday night.

3. James - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM

The statement that there is history of violence in their relationship is suggesting that he has been physically abusive to his girlfriend, and the order to stay away from his own children means that there was probably some statements made to the court where they believed the children could be (or have been) the subject of physical abuse from the guy.
    Courts go through great pains to make sure that children are not kept from visiting with their father, but the fact that they said he cannot even see his own children until another hearing is held is very telling about what was said about him in court.
    I hope everyone can give them the space they need to sort through this.

4. rdj3video - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:37 PM

K-Rod, Figgy, Lackey. All kind of revealed as turds once leaving The OC.

5. derek - Aug 13, 2010 at 8:07 AM

@James
    As a father of two bright, perfect, intelligent and awesome young men, I have to call BS on your statement about the courst and how far they will go to protect fathers interests… at least here in NYS.
    I spent the better part of 3 years and almost $30k protecting my interests and you know what I walked out with? Every other weekend. No history of violence, abuse, drugs or anything of the sort. Guilty until proven innocent is the unofficial motto of the NYS Family Court System with regards to father.s
    Back on track, I think if you beat someone up and there’s evidence (cameras, tell me citi field doesn’t have cameras EVERYWHERE), you should be punished.

6. James - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Derek,
    I’m a step father myself and I think the every other weekend and dinner once a week set up is very standard when it comes to visitation rights. It SUCKS, and I am sorry you have to go through it, but it’s pretty much much the crappy situation all divorced parents find themselves in. But, as you say you had no history of violence, it is my guess that at no point was a judge ever considering keeping you from seeing your children at all. Yet that is what happened here with K-Rod. And that is what I was referring to because if a judge were to tell a father he can’t see his kids at all that there is a lot of material we could read in between those lines. And the point of my comment was that there was probably much more about K-Rod’s domestic abuse situation than we were privy to yesterday.
    But today is a new day and a lot more of the details have come out.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4004)