Aug 12, 2010, 2:33 PM EDT
Look, I know he’s not leaving the Yankees and you know he’s not leaving the Yankees, but if I don’t link to MLBTR’s fun post about possible non-Yankees destinations for Derek Jeter, then I’m just going to post another thing about the Mets, and frankly, even I’m getting tired of that. So where — apart from the Bronx — would Jeter make the most sense?
Of all of the viable options in the piece I suppose he’d look the least out of place in a Cardinals uniform simply because it’s a classic thing, they’re a winning team and there’s a manager there who actually matches Jeter in terms of power and prestige and all of that. Maybe the Tigers. Even those two would be crazy, though. I can’t think of a player in modern memory who would look more out of place on another team than Jeter.
Which means that, while this exercise is a silly one, it’s one that illustrates just how little negotiating room Jeter and the Yankees really have this winter.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 54
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 27
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)