Aug 12, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
MLB has suspended Johnny Cueto seven games for kicking Chris Carpenter and Jason LaRue during Tuesday’s benches-clearing altercation between the Cardinals and Reds.
LaRue took the worst of it, suffering a concussion and needing stitches from Cueto kicking him in the head and face with his cleats.
He’ll likely end up missing more games than Cueto, who at most could miss one start and may end up simply pushing his next outing back a day if he appeals the suspension.
Tony La Russa and Dusty Baker were also suspended two games apiece for their roles in the incident, with Carpenter, Yadier Molina, Brandon Phillips, and Russ Springer all being fined.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 49
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)