Aug 12, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
MLB has suspended Johnny Cueto seven games for kicking Chris Carpenter and Jason LaRue during Tuesday’s benches-clearing altercation between the Cardinals and Reds.
LaRue took the worst of it, suffering a concussion and needing stitches from Cueto kicking him in the head and face with his cleats.
He’ll likely end up missing more games than Cueto, who at most could miss one start and may end up simply pushing his next outing back a day if he appeals the suspension.
Tony La Russa and Dusty Baker were also suspended two games apiece for their roles in the incident, with Carpenter, Yadier Molina, Brandon Phillips, and Russ Springer all being fined.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39