Johnny "Kung Fu" Cueto suspended seven games

Aug 12, 2010, 12:45 PM EST

MLB has suspended Johnny Cueto seven games for kicking Chris Carpenter and Jason LaRue during Tuesday’s benches-clearing altercation between the Cardinals and Reds.
LaRue took the worst of it, suffering a concussion and needing stitches from Cueto kicking him in the head and face with his cleats.
He’ll likely end up missing more games than Cueto, who at most could miss one start and may end up simply pushing his next outing back a day if he appeals the suspension.
Tony La Russa and Dusty Baker were also suspended two games apiece for their roles in the incident, with Carpenter, Yadier Molina, Brandon Phillips, and Russ Springer all being fined.

1. El Bravo - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Suspensions still don’t work on SPs…he should be punished by being forced to wear padded slippers to all games for the rest of the season. What a jerk.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:01 PM

How the hell does Molina not get suspended? He is the reason this entire fight happened. Phillips said what he said to the media. He was showing class by doing the pre-game tap for the catcher and umpire. Molina has his panties in a bunch and causes the entire argument and he gets a lousy fine? Had Rolen not jumped in and saved Molina from getting his ass kicked by Phillips, he would have been fined and given a beating as well. Pathetic job MLB.

3. The Common Man - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Hope LaRue’s concussion isn’t serious. Stuff like that could destroy a career. Not cool, Cueto.

4. BC - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Here’s a great moment in baseball karate-kick history. I remember seeing it on live TV.

5. murd - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Not a Cards or Reds fan, so no dog in this fight. I don’t know about a second baseman kicking the ass of a catcher in full gear.

6. Old Gator - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Anyone here who thinks Cueto is going to dig in next time he bats against the Cardinals, raise your hands.
    Then again, maybe he is that stupid.

7. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Phillips is an inch taller and 30 pounds lighter…I could see him boxing and running circles around the pudgier Molina :) I’m neither fan either, but I thought the umpires handled this thing terribly. They should have broken it up the second the two of them started jawing and they seemed to allow Dusty and LaRussa bark at each other as well, which only egged the fight on more.
    NONE of this would have happened if Molina hadn’t started shit with Phillips. Plain and simple.

8. murd - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I don’t know, I can see why Molina was pissed off. If one of my competitors told a bunch of clients what a POS I am, I wouldn’t want to shake his hand at the start of a meeting. I think maybe the umpires knew what was coming, and maybe they figured “let’s just get it over with.” And Dusty and LaRussa, I think everybody was hoping they’d knock each other out.

9. docd1974 - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM

#1 Phillips started it by runnin his mouth off, then trying to back out of it by playing nice with his little shin tap! # 2 there isn’t 1 second baseman in the league as tough as any everyday catcher! #3 Phillips is a punk, has always been a punk and always will be a punk! His record proves it! #4 How you gonna mouth off hitting .283 then go 2-14! # 5 Phillips is 6ft 200lb, Molina is 5″11 230lb I don’t know of a case where a inch taller would out brawl 30 pounds of muscle!

10. Wagonmaker50 - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Not plain and simple at all. I don’t have a problem with what Phillips said, but the shin-guard tapping was obviously disingenuous. Don’t talk smack, then act all buddy-buddy like nothing happened. Phillips has rarely, if ever, been labeled as classy. Molina is standing up for his team and has the complete respect of his teammates for it. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see him suspended for a game, but to put the blame for the whole thing on him is too simplistic, and frankly, rather moronic.

11. Nits - Aug 12, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I agree completely. The whole talking smack behind your back and being a buddy to your face thing is pretty shady. You cant fault the backstop for stepping in and letting him know that its disrespectful. I’d have to go with the catcher on that one.
    As far as Phillips kicking Molina’s ass, I kind of doubt it. I don’t understand why that assumption is made. Molina is heavier, but that doesn’t mean slower or weaker. I think I would have enjoyed watching it though.
    Looking at the big picture, STL looks like the winner in all this.

12. ryanbyrne19 - Aug 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM

I don’t get how assault charges aren’t filed against Cueto. If you do that anywhere else but during a major league baseball (or hockey?) game you get arrested.

13. ryanbyrne19 - Aug 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Seriously, Krod punches his wife’s father and gets 3rd degree assualt but had he kicked an opponent in the head with cleats he only gets a suspension?

14. Jerry13 - Aug 12, 2010 at 4:41 PM

When will the Reds realize that the difference between slamming a team with your mouth and slamming a team at the plate is 4 runs on the scoreboard? Seriously, since we don’t know the amount of the fines, we don’t know if Cueto’s “punishment” is sufficient yet.

15. Dan - Aug 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Baseball has to figure out what to do when it comes to suspending starting pitchers. When a starting position player is suspended for two games it hurts a team worse than a starting pitcher getting suspended for 5 games. For Cueto 7 games equals one game and is hardly a fitting penalty for his kicking like a little kid.

16. willmose - Aug 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Specially if LaRue is catching.

17. Sigildark - Aug 12, 2010 at 8:15 PM

baseball brawls are funny
    alot of testosterone going around
    not a hell of alot of action
    lets see ppl square off hockey style, then it’s gonna be worth watching

18. jred melvin - Aug 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Nope, gotta disagree with all the Molina haters. If you watch the replay, Phillips reaches out with the bat not once but TWICE to tap Molina on his shin pads. Molina didn’t like it (it was definitely intentional) and invited him out to the bike racks a la high school. Phillips is a b1tch- I’d like to see Nolan Ryan go three rounds with him!!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4991)