Aug 12, 2010, 12:11 AM EDT
12:11 PM: Ken Davidoff of Newsday is reporting that K-Rod will be charged with third-degree assault for attacking his father-in-law. He is being held at the NYPD’s precinct inside of Citi Field.
12:06 PM: The Mets have released a statement about the ordeal, and ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin has it:
“There was an incident between Francisco Rodriguez and his family
tonight at the ballpark. He was questioned by police and all other
questions pertaining to this incident will be referred to the police
11:55 PM: The New York Post is now reporting that K-Rod “slugged” his father-in-law and was arrested for doing so. The closer was charged with assault and his father-in-law was hospitalized with “facial bruises and minor head injuries.”
11:44 PM: Reports are pouring in slowly, but we’ll try to keep you updated as they do.
According to Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News, Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez was involved in an altercation with a family member in the Family Lounge at Citi Field following Wednesday’s loss to the Rockies. K-Rod had to be removed from the lounge by security and told a reporter to “mind your own f—— business” when asked about the fracas.
Jimmy Traina of SI.com hears that the fight may have occurred between Rodriguez and his father-in-law, but that has not been confirmed.
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 9
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 14
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 23
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 82
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 60
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)