Aug 12, 2010, 12:11 AM EST
12:11 PM: Ken Davidoff of Newsday is reporting that K-Rod will be charged with third-degree assault for attacking his father-in-law. He is being held at the NYPD’s precinct inside of Citi Field.
12:06 PM: The Mets have released a statement about the ordeal, and ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin has it:
“There was an incident between Francisco Rodriguez and his family
tonight at the ballpark. He was questioned by police and all other
questions pertaining to this incident will be referred to the police
11:55 PM: The New York Post is now reporting that K-Rod “slugged” his father-in-law and was arrested for doing so. The closer was charged with assault and his father-in-law was hospitalized with “facial bruises and minor head injuries.”
11:44 PM: Reports are pouring in slowly, but we’ll try to keep you updated as they do.
According to Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News, Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez was involved in an altercation with a family member in the Family Lounge at Citi Field following Wednesday’s loss to the Rockies. K-Rod had to be removed from the lounge by security and told a reporter to “mind your own f—— business” when asked about the fracas.
Jimmy Traina of SI.com hears that the fight may have occurred between Rodriguez and his father-in-law, but that has not been confirmed.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)