Aug 12, 2010, 1:49 PM EST
LaTroy Hawkins missed three months with shoulder soreness earlier this season, appeared in five games for the Brewers after returning from the disabled list late last month, and is now back on the shelf with what is being called “shoulder weakness.”
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Hawkins will get a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum early next week, but the veteran right-hander doesn’t sound optimistic about his status:
I want to be able to carry my own weight. Shoot, I can’t carry my own weight right now. It’s miserable being out there in the bullpen and you can’t carry your own weight.
Hawkins has been one of the best and most durable relievers in baseball for the past decade, averaging 65 appearances and 68 innings per season since 2000 while posting a 3.24 ERA. He’s thrown at least 50 innings every season since 1997, but is currently 0-3 with an 8.44 ERA in 16 innings after signing a two-year, $7.5 million deal with the Brewers this winter.
The lesson, of course, is that good, durable 37-year-old pitchers are still 37-year-old pitchers and signing them to multi-year contracts often turns out badly. Milwaukee owes him $4 million for 2011.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)