Aug 12, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
Mark Prior’s latest (and perhaps last) comeback attempt is with the independent league Orange County Flyers and he struck out five straight batters while tossing two shutout innings last night.
Prior is working as a reliever and is scheduled to pitch again Saturday. So far he has six strikeouts versus one hit and two walks in three innings since signing last week.
He hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2006 and hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2005, going through multiple arm surgeries during that time. He’s still a month shy of 30 years old and it presumably won’t take many more strong outings in Orange County for Prior to get a minor-league deal from an MLB team.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)