Aug 12, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
Mark Prior’s latest (and perhaps last) comeback attempt is with the independent league Orange County Flyers and he struck out five straight batters while tossing two shutout innings last night.
Prior is working as a reliever and is scheduled to pitch again Saturday. So far he has six strikeouts versus one hit and two walks in three innings since signing last week.
He hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2006 and hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2005, going through multiple arm surgeries during that time. He’s still a month shy of 30 years old and it presumably won’t take many more strong outings in Orange County for Prior to get a minor-league deal from an MLB team.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 28
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week (80)