Aug 12, 2010, 2:47 PM EST
With closer Francisco Rodriguez “unavailable” for this afternoon’s game, Johan Santana stepped up with a complete-game shutout of the Rockies.
Santana had 110 pitches through eight innings, but came out for the ninth anyway and needed just five more throws for his eighth career shutout and fourth since joining the Mets.
He allowed just four hits and two walks while racking up 10 strikeouts for the 49th double-digit strikeout game of his career. Santana improved to 10-6 with the victory and also sliced his ERA to 2.89, which is tied with Chris Carpenter for ninth in the league.
Santana had a 3.11 ERA in 175 starts with the Twins. He now has a 2.82 ERA in 84 starts with the Mets.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)