Aug 12, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
With closer Francisco Rodriguez “unavailable” for this afternoon’s game, Johan Santana stepped up with a complete-game shutout of the Rockies.
Santana had 110 pitches through eight innings, but came out for the ninth anyway and needed just five more throws for his eighth career shutout and fourth since joining the Mets.
He allowed just four hits and two walks while racking up 10 strikeouts for the 49th double-digit strikeout game of his career. Santana improved to 10-6 with the victory and also sliced his ERA to 2.89, which is tied with Chris Carpenter for ninth in the league.
Santana had a 3.11 ERA in 175 starts with the Twins. He now has a 2.82 ERA in 84 starts with the Mets.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)