Rob Dibble: those women must be talking about shopping!

Aug 12, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT

Rob Dibble does Washington Nats games. In light of this, I tend to go with the opponents’ broadcast feed whenever the desire to watch a Nats game strikes me. Because baseball analysis-wise, well, he’s a little shaky.

But I had no idea he was so bad that he’d spend several minutes of a broadcast making piggish remarks about how female fans at the game must be discussing shopping or must be reality TV stars and, oh, how their husbands must be so humiliated to have them at the ballpark with them.

Go to the Sports Bog for all the details.  Then make a point to avoid Nats’ broadcasts as long as Dibble is a part of them.

1. Xpensive Wino - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

It would be a shorter conversation to establish which teams have a decent play-by-pay and/or color guy.
    There ain’t many.

2. IdahoMariner - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

amen, Craig.

3. ahbronco30 - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Im an Orioles fan who lives in Western Maryland and get all O’s and Nats games on Cable TV. Even when Strasburg throws for the Nats I still find it hard to watch the games because Rob Dibble is such a terrible announcer. If everyone had to listen to Dibble call games, there would be no baseball fans. Its just a tough thing to listen to, he’s that bad

4. JBerardi - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM

And people wonder WHY women don’t like sports…

5. dlf - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM

My wife and I have a little time this weekend without the kids. I asked her what she’d like to do: fancy dinner, concert, show, window shoping, etc? She said she’d rather go see the local AAA game and drink a couple of beers. Yes, indeed, I have the world’s greatest wife.

6. rdj3video - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Dibs is Dibs. Sounds/acts the same way as he did when he worked the Dan Patrick show all those years back on the radio. As for annoying announcers let’s start with Michael Kaye (TV) and John Sterling (RADIO) and work from there. Kaye obviously debates too many things on the air because he has a radio show and that kind of stuff plays well on radio. He just never seems happy or satisfied. “I don’t know Ken. Flash, I have to disagree. Why, I just don’t understand Al.” Just be sure to turn down the volume if Jeter squares to bunt. Kaye comes unglued.

7. schmedley - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Dibble is a certified loon. You can always count on him for about 3 or 4 totally bizarre comments during a typical broadcast. I think he claimed that the Nats were a “90-win team” early last season. I don’t know how Bob Carpenter keeps a straight face working next to this guy.

8. Paper Lions - Aug 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM

No. No one wonders why, and the answer has nothing to do with Dibble.

9. davidc45629 - Aug 12, 2010 at 7:00 PM

What’s so piggish about this? Elaine was estatic she turned a gay man on to our team..nothing but sex and shopping!

10. The Rabbit - Aug 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Dibble’s knuckles must really drag on the ground. What an idiot!
    However, it’s part of a marketing scheme designed by MLB. We women attend baseball games so we don’t have to listen to moronic broadcasters…and when home, some of us follow all the games on Gameday (to watch pitch f/x) in conjunction with games on internet broadcast, on mute, of course.

11. JBerardi - Aug 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Uhh… care to expand upon that?

12. bandolero - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Women be shoppin’.

13. Jack Marshall - Aug 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Listening to Dibble’s “commentary” on XM/Sirius proved to me beyond a reasonable doubt that there was nothing so stupid that he wouldn’t say it. The Nats are insane to have him on the payroll. In fact, it may explain the current problems in America—listening to him lowers one’s IQ, and a lot of Congress members are Nats fans…

14. TomTom - Aug 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Except Rob Dibble sort of embodies sports, doesn’t it? Why am I to believe that Dibble is in the minority of players/broadcasters/sports junkies? It’s not shocking, it’s not surprising and it’s not something that is unexpected. Misogyny in sports? Say it ain’t so!
    Say it isn’t exactly what happens when everyone makes the joke about the meeting on the mound “Hey you see that whooa in the third row with the tube top, skip?”
    I mean before everyone gets outraged at the caveman like tendencies of Rob Dibble, let’s remember that the sports world not only is the most obvious place for this, it’s the place that embraces it the most.

15. MVD - Aug 16, 2010 at 2:18 AM

How come no one can be honest anymore?
    Have you ever listened to people talk at a game?
    They usually ARE talking about something stupid. If they were interested in the game, they’d STFU and pay attention to it.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3905)