Aug 12, 2010, 12:16 PM EST
Omar Quintanilla, who played 216 games for the Rockies from 2005-2009 before spending all of this season at Triple-A, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance called Methylhexanamine.
According to my extensive research on Methylhexanamine (read: Wikipedia) it’s intended to be used as a nasal decongestant but is also marketed as a dietary supplement and “was implicated as a stimulant used by five Jamaican athletes in 2009.”
Quintanilla hit just .220 with two homers and a .567 OPS in 559 total plate appearances for the Rockies and the 5-foot-9, 190-pound infielder has been limited to just 34 games at Triple-A this season because of injuries.
And now he’ll never get into the Hall of Fame.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (114)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)