Aug 12, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Because you can’t have a managerial opening without mentioning Bobby Valentine’s name, I give you Larry Stone on the M’s vacancy:
Valentine is not commenting, but friends of Valentine say that [the Mariners job] is a job that he would be greatly interested in . . . someone familiar with Valentine’s thinking said Valentine believes the
Mariners job “is among the most appealing jobs in baseball” despite the
I’ve heard some people speculate that, because Valentine spent several years managing in Japan, and because the Mariners are owned by a Japanese company (Nintendo), that he’d be a natural. Maybe so. It’s worth noting, though, that Nintendo’s Japanese executives are really removed from the day-to-day operation of the team. Indeed, Geoff Baker tweeted yesterday that Nintendo’s CEO has never been to a Mariners game. Team CEO Howard Lincoln and team President Chuck Armstrong call the shots.
And actually, it’s possible that Valentine’s history in Japan could work against him. After all, his tenure with Chiba Lotte ended when he and Japanese corporate ownership just couldn’t see eye to eye. It sounded to me like he was done dirty by the suits, but who’s to say that Nintendo’s bosses aren’t more inclined to agree with their side of the story?
All of that stuff notwithstanding, there are worse choices for the M’s than Bobby V. There are always worse choices than Bobby V.
(thanks to reader Evan A. for the heads up)
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)