Aug 12, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Because you can’t have a managerial opening without mentioning Bobby Valentine’s name, I give you Larry Stone on the M’s vacancy:
Valentine is not commenting, but friends of Valentine say that [the Mariners job] is a job that he would be greatly interested in . . . someone familiar with Valentine’s thinking said Valentine believes the
Mariners job “is among the most appealing jobs in baseball” despite the
I’ve heard some people speculate that, because Valentine spent several years managing in Japan, and because the Mariners are owned by a Japanese company (Nintendo), that he’d be a natural. Maybe so. It’s worth noting, though, that Nintendo’s Japanese executives are really removed from the day-to-day operation of the team. Indeed, Geoff Baker tweeted yesterday that Nintendo’s CEO has never been to a Mariners game. Team CEO Howard Lincoln and team President Chuck Armstrong call the shots.
And actually, it’s possible that Valentine’s history in Japan could work against him. After all, his tenure with Chiba Lotte ended when he and Japanese corporate ownership just couldn’t see eye to eye. It sounded to me like he was done dirty by the suits, but who’s to say that Nintendo’s bosses aren’t more inclined to agree with their side of the story?
All of that stuff notwithstanding, there are worse choices for the M’s than Bobby V. There are always worse choices than Bobby V.
(thanks to reader Evan A. for the heads up)
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)