Aug 12, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Because you can’t have a managerial opening without mentioning Bobby Valentine’s name, I give you Larry Stone on the M’s vacancy:
Valentine is not commenting, but friends of Valentine say that [the Mariners job] is a job that he would be greatly interested in . . . someone familiar with Valentine’s thinking said Valentine believes the
Mariners job “is among the most appealing jobs in baseball” despite the
I’ve heard some people speculate that, because Valentine spent several years managing in Japan, and because the Mariners are owned by a Japanese company (Nintendo), that he’d be a natural. Maybe so. It’s worth noting, though, that Nintendo’s Japanese executives are really removed from the day-to-day operation of the team. Indeed, Geoff Baker tweeted yesterday that Nintendo’s CEO has never been to a Mariners game. Team CEO Howard Lincoln and team President Chuck Armstrong call the shots.
And actually, it’s possible that Valentine’s history in Japan could work against him. After all, his tenure with Chiba Lotte ended when he and Japanese corporate ownership just couldn’t see eye to eye. It sounded to me like he was done dirty by the suits, but who’s to say that Nintendo’s bosses aren’t more inclined to agree with their side of the story?
All of that stuff notwithstanding, there are worse choices for the M’s than Bobby V. There are always worse choices than Bobby V.
(thanks to reader Evan A. for the heads up)
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 0
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)