The Mets may start Oliver Perez on Saturday

Aug 12, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT

In a move that can only be explained by Jerry Manuel having money on the Phillies to win the division, the Mets manager said that he’s thinking about starting Oliver Perez against Philly. If he forfeited it would save everyone time and money.

Not that there isn’t some logic afoot here. The Phillies will be starting Halladay, so the Mets were probably going to lose anyway. And if they do start Perez, there’s an outside chance that some Phillies hitters will have to go on the disabled list due to fatigue from running around the bases so damn much.

OK, maybe this does help my team a bit.

1. BC - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Craig – can we please talk about the Padres, or the price of gazpacho in Madrid, or the Konigsberg Bridge conundrum…. It’s only 9:25am here and is too early for me to drown my Mets misery in a bottle of Chivas (that, and I’m in the office). TOPIC CHANGE PLEASE….

2. Simon DelMonte - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM

It could always be worse. The Mets could hire Isiah Thomas.

3. Jonny5 - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM

LMAO!! Ok, maybe they want to show he can still pitch then put him on waivers? Or show him he can’t pitch then they can say “see, I told you.”

4. crotch_jenkins - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Chivas is the Oliver Perez of liquor.

5. Old Gator - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Sorry, Simon. I already suggested that back in spring training. Then, of course, FIU – which is just down the road a way from where I sit typing this – hired him to run their basketball program. It never occurred to me that anyone else in Macondo might be reading this blog and I blame myself for inflicting this bagatelle on the rising academic powerhouse over on the west side of town. And of course Isiah stirred up a little shitstorm by flirting with a “consulting” job with the Knicks last week, in gross violation of NCAA rules prohibiting contact between college players and their coaches etc. and any professional sports concern. That’s how the NCAA keeps their kids clean, poor and subservient. You’d think Isaiah would know better, wouldn’t you?
    I said wouldn’t you?

6. Old Gator - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Thunderbird is the Oliver Perez of wine.

7. Mark S - Aug 12, 2010 at 9:47 AM

But the book Scott Boras wrote about him clearly indicated that Perez was one of the dominant left-handed pitchers of modern time … too bad Minaya didn’t realize it was listed under fiction.

8. BC - Aug 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Haffenreffer is the Oliver Perez of beer.

9. Simon DelMonte - Aug 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I applaud your noble state’s sacrifice in keeping Mr. Thomas there so that he is not free to roam the halls of Madison Square Garden. May you be repaid with many pleasant experiences at the new ballpark.

10. Glenn - Aug 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM

If the Mets were a fictional first act set-up, we wouldn’t believe it. Are they about to get Willie Mays Hayes and the Wild Thing? Or some old guy with a bullet in his abdomen who starts knocking out the stadium lights?

11. BC - Aug 12, 2010 at 10:49 AM

No, we need this guy:

12. matt - Aug 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Actually Craig, any and all left handers, eeven bad ones always give the Phillies fits. Yes, Ollie Perez may well be the exception, but you never know. They have pounded him recently so maybe it is an automatic win for the Phils. For the Mets? Well they have nothing to lose. They are paying him like $12 million this year and another $12 mill next year. They have to play him sometime. Another good part of this is that it allows the rest of the baseball world to have yet another good laugh at the Mets and that putrid organization. They did have that week or so a while back when their fans actually thought that they would contend this year. It was kind of cute seeing that….hehehe

13. Old Gator - Aug 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Oh, yeah, and BC, let’s talk about “Little Herr Friedemann”- ’cause I think that’s the Thomas Mann story you quoted from a few posts back rather than from “Death in Venice.”
    Why I didn’t pick that one up immediately I don’t know. Cueto must have kicked me in the head too.

14. Old Gator - Aug 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I’m sure that if Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua see the light – albeit unlikely that they would – and stock those stupid aquariums behind home plate with brook trout instead of clownfeesh, I’ll have a great old time. We could have trout fishing contests while we waited for the next planeload of EYPs to be flown in from New Orleans to take the place of the recently traded just ahead of arbitration Mike Stanton.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug