Aug 13, 2010, 3:52 PM EDT
Jody Gerut is finally healthy after being on the disabled list since May with a bruised heel, so the Brewers activated him from the DL today … and released him, eating the remainder of his $2 million contract.
Gerut persevered through multiple knee injuries early in his career to have an excellent bounceback season in 2008, but has hit just .223/.269/.374 in 154 games since then.
Milwaukee has little use for a 33-year-old part-time outfielder now that they’re out of contention. Plus, the Brewers just acquired a relatively similar (but younger) player in Chris Dickerson. Gerut hit well while rehabbing in the low minors, but will likely have to sign a minor-league deal and prove himself at Triple-A before getting another crack in the majors.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)