Aug 13, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Believing his hulking right-hander has lost his confidence, manager Joe Torre today removed Jonathan Broxton for the closer’s role and replaced him with left-hander Hong-Chih Kuo.
He added that Octavio Dotel would be used if a save chance materializes Friday, only because Kuo has pitched on back-to-back days.
Broxton gave up four runs in taking a blown save and a loss Thursday against the Phillies. He’s blown three saves since the All-Star break, taking losses in each of those games. He also suffered a fourth loss after entering a tie game. He has a 10.13 ERA and a 5/11 K/BB ratio in eight innings since saving the All-Star Game for the NL. He finished the first half with a 2.11 ERA and a 55/7 K/BB ratio in 38 1/3 innings.
The switch may seem like a bit of a panic move, but if it means that Broxton starts getting regular work again, it would definitely be for the best. With the Dodgers slumping, he’s made just eight appearances in the month since the All-Star Game. Including his All-Star appearance on July 13, he’s made his last nine appearances on the following days rest:
3, 4, 1, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 4
Compare that to the much more fragile Kuo. He’s made 12 appearances since July 17, coming on the following days rest:
2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 0, 2, 0
Kuo isn’t being used as a specialist, either: he’s pitched 12 2/3 innings in those dozen appearances.
So, this just might work out. Broxton can pitch every other day or more frequently until he runs off a few strong outings, and Kuo might get a bit of a break while being reserved for the ninth. That’s probably not the reasoning behind it, but it could help the Dodgers in the long run.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)