Aug 13, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
According to the New York Daily News “the one-sided fight” between Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez and Carlos Pena, the 53-year-old father of his girlfriend, began Wednesday night “when Pena challenged Rodriguez’s manhood and insulted his mother after the crazed closer began shouting about the latest Mets loss.”
Based on police reports and various sources, here’s how the newspaper describes the scene that took place in the Citi Field family lounge:
“Stop acting like a baby,” one source quoted Pena as telling the volatile Rodriguez inside a Citi Field lounge designated for players’ families. “Man up, and play better.” K-Rod’s mother told Pena to keep his mouth shut, prompting a screaming match in Spanish between the pair, the source said. “You can’t talk to my mami that way!” Rodriguez shouted before landing the first of many punches in the Wednesday night mismatch.
The 6-feet, 195-pound hard-throwing righty pinned the defenseless Pena against a wall outside the Mets’ clubhouse while raining blows on his head and face, prosecutors said. Stadium security, after hearing the 53-year-old’s howls, yanked the four-time All-Star away, officials said. The beating occurred in full view of Peña’s common-law wife, along with the children and girlfriends of other players.
Jose Reyes’ wife and children were reportedly in the room for all of that, but the shortstop said merely “it is what it is” when asked about the situation yesterday and for the most part Rodriguez’s teammates have been supportive. However, the incident has opened the floodgates on stories about Rodriguez’s previous bad behavior, which most media members in New York have apparently been keeping under wraps until now.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 88
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 43
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 73
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement