Aug 13, 2010, 11:12 AM EST
According to the New York Daily News “the one-sided fight” between Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez and Carlos Pena, the 53-year-old father of his girlfriend, began Wednesday night “when Pena challenged Rodriguez’s manhood and insulted his mother after the crazed closer began shouting about the latest Mets loss.”
Based on police reports and various sources, here’s how the newspaper describes the scene that took place in the Citi Field family lounge:
“Stop acting like a baby,” one source quoted Pena as telling the volatile Rodriguez inside a Citi Field lounge designated for players’ families. “Man up, and play better.” K-Rod’s mother told Pena to keep his mouth shut, prompting a screaming match in Spanish between the pair, the source said. “You can’t talk to my mami that way!” Rodriguez shouted before landing the first of many punches in the Wednesday night mismatch.
The 6-feet, 195-pound hard-throwing righty pinned the defenseless Pena against a wall outside the Mets’ clubhouse while raining blows on his head and face, prosecutors said. Stadium security, after hearing the 53-year-old’s howls, yanked the four-time All-Star away, officials said. The beating occurred in full view of Peña’s common-law wife, along with the children and girlfriends of other players.
Jose Reyes’ wife and children were reportedly in the room for all of that, but the shortstop said merely “it is what it is” when asked about the situation yesterday and for the most part Rodriguez’s teammates have been supportive. However, the incident has opened the floodgates on stories about Rodriguez’s previous bad behavior, which most media members in New York have apparently been keeping under wraps until now.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)