Aug 13, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Well, OK, so the world is always ending on Twitter, but this time it’s because Ike Davis is on the bench against a lefty for the second time in three days.
Tweets MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Poor Ike Davis. Hitting .272 vs. lefties as a rookie, but now is basically platooning. Hessman in again tonight. #Mets
Unfortunately, most of the replies aren’t fit to be reprinted.
So, yeah, Davis is hitting .272 against lefties this season. But he’s struck out more against them, he’s hit for a lot less power and he has that average in no small part because he’s been held out aganst a lot of the better ones.
And the pitcher the Mets are facing tonight is Cole Hamels. All he’s done is hold left-handers to a .182 average, even though most of the mediocre ones sit against him. Righties are hitting .266 against him.
Sure, the Mets need to get Davis at-bats against lefties. But they haven’t quite admitted that they’re out of the race yet, and Mike Hessman is the better bet to do some damage against Hamels tonight.
Deal with it.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)