Aug 13, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Well, OK, so the world is always ending on Twitter, but this time it’s because Ike Davis is on the bench against a lefty for the second time in three days.
Tweets MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Poor Ike Davis. Hitting .272 vs. lefties as a rookie, but now is basically platooning. Hessman in again tonight. #Mets
Unfortunately, most of the replies aren’t fit to be reprinted.
So, yeah, Davis is hitting .272 against lefties this season. But he’s struck out more against them, he’s hit for a lot less power and he has that average in no small part because he’s been held out aganst a lot of the better ones.
And the pitcher the Mets are facing tonight is Cole Hamels. All he’s done is hold left-handers to a .182 average, even though most of the mediocre ones sit against him. Righties are hitting .266 against him.
Sure, the Mets need to get Davis at-bats against lefties. But they haven’t quite admitted that they’re out of the race yet, and Mike Hessman is the better bet to do some damage against Hamels tonight.
Deal with it.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)