Aug 13, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Well, OK, so the world is always ending on Twitter, but this time it’s because Ike Davis is on the bench against a lefty for the second time in three days.
Tweets MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Poor Ike Davis. Hitting .272 vs. lefties as a rookie, but now is basically platooning. Hessman in again tonight. #Mets
Unfortunately, most of the replies aren’t fit to be reprinted.
So, yeah, Davis is hitting .272 against lefties this season. But he’s struck out more against them, he’s hit for a lot less power and he has that average in no small part because he’s been held out aganst a lot of the better ones.
And the pitcher the Mets are facing tonight is Cole Hamels. All he’s done is hold left-handers to a .182 average, even though most of the mediocre ones sit against him. Righties are hitting .266 against him.
Sure, the Mets need to get Davis at-bats against lefties. But they haven’t quite admitted that they’re out of the race yet, and Mike Hessman is the better bet to do some damage against Hamels tonight.
Deal with it.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)