Aug 13, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Well, OK, so the world is always ending on Twitter, but this time it’s because Ike Davis is on the bench against a lefty for the second time in three days.
Tweets MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Poor Ike Davis. Hitting .272 vs. lefties as a rookie, but now is basically platooning. Hessman in again tonight. #Mets
Unfortunately, most of the replies aren’t fit to be reprinted.
So, yeah, Davis is hitting .272 against lefties this season. But he’s struck out more against them, he’s hit for a lot less power and he has that average in no small part because he’s been held out aganst a lot of the better ones.
And the pitcher the Mets are facing tonight is Cole Hamels. All he’s done is hold left-handers to a .182 average, even though most of the mediocre ones sit against him. Righties are hitting .266 against him.
Sure, the Mets need to get Davis at-bats against lefties. But they haven’t quite admitted that they’re out of the race yet, and Mike Hessman is the better bet to do some damage against Hamels tonight.
Deal with it.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 96
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (96)