Aug 13, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Well, OK, so the world is always ending on Twitter, but this time it’s because Ike Davis is on the bench against a lefty for the second time in three days.
Tweets MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
Poor Ike Davis. Hitting .272 vs. lefties as a rookie, but now is basically platooning. Hessman in again tonight. #Mets
Unfortunately, most of the replies aren’t fit to be reprinted.
So, yeah, Davis is hitting .272 against lefties this season. But he’s struck out more against them, he’s hit for a lot less power and he has that average in no small part because he’s been held out aganst a lot of the better ones.
And the pitcher the Mets are facing tonight is Cole Hamels. All he’s done is hold left-handers to a .182 average, even though most of the mediocre ones sit against him. Righties are hitting .266 against him.
Sure, the Mets need to get Davis at-bats against lefties. But they haven’t quite admitted that they’re out of the race yet, and Mike Hessman is the better bet to do some damage against Hamels tonight.
Deal with it.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)