Aug 13, 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto has decided not to appeal his seven-game suspension for kicking Jason LaRue and Chris Carpenter during the benches-clearing altercation between the Cardinals and Reds on Tuesday.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cueto will begin serving the suspension immediately, which means he’ll miss Sunday’s scheduled start against the Marlins. Homer Bailey is expected to come off the disabled list to fill in.
Cueto will be eligible to pitch again on August 20.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 97
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39