Aug 13, 2010, 12:05 PM EST
Mark Teahen is scheduled to return from the disabled list today after missing the past 10 weeks with a broken finger and to make room for him on the roster the White Sox have demoted 20-year-old rookie Dayan Viciedo back to Triple-A.
With a .268 batting average and nine extra-base hits in 27 games since his June call-up Viciedo held his own as a hitter in his first taste of the majors, but his plate discipline was abysmal. He struck out 16 times in 82 trips to the plate … and drew zero walks.
So, despite hitting .268 with good power he managed a measly .720 OPS that included making an amazing 65 outs in 83 plate appearances thanks to a .268 on-base percentage and grounding into five plays.
To put his lack of patience in context, consider that only 10 non-pitchers have accumulated more than 83 plate appearances in a season without drawing a single walk since the mound was lowered in 1969.
Viciedo will no doubt be called back up in September, if not before then, so he’ll have more chances to draw a free pass before the season ends, but for now he stands as one of the most hacktastic players in baseball history.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (121)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)