Aug 13, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Mark Teahen is scheduled to return from the disabled list today after missing the past 10 weeks with a broken finger and to make room for him on the roster the White Sox have demoted 20-year-old rookie Dayan Viciedo back to Triple-A.
With a .268 batting average and nine extra-base hits in 27 games since his June call-up Viciedo held his own as a hitter in his first taste of the majors, but his plate discipline was abysmal. He struck out 16 times in 82 trips to the plate … and drew zero walks.
So, despite hitting .268 with good power he managed a measly .720 OPS that included making an amazing 65 outs in 83 plate appearances thanks to a .268 on-base percentage and grounding into five plays.
To put his lack of patience in context, consider that only 10 non-pitchers have accumulated more than 83 plate appearances in a season without drawing a single walk since the mound was lowered in 1969.
Viciedo will no doubt be called back up in September, if not before then, so he’ll have more chances to draw a free pass before the season ends, but for now he stands as one of the most hacktastic players in baseball history.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL