Aug 13, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Mark Teahen is scheduled to return from the disabled list today after missing the past 10 weeks with a broken finger and to make room for him on the roster the White Sox have demoted 20-year-old rookie Dayan Viciedo back to Triple-A.
With a .268 batting average and nine extra-base hits in 27 games since his June call-up Viciedo held his own as a hitter in his first taste of the majors, but his plate discipline was abysmal. He struck out 16 times in 82 trips to the plate … and drew zero walks.
So, despite hitting .268 with good power he managed a measly .720 OPS that included making an amazing 65 outs in 83 plate appearances thanks to a .268 on-base percentage and grounding into five plays.
To put his lack of patience in context, consider that only 10 non-pitchers have accumulated more than 83 plate appearances in a season without drawing a single walk since the mound was lowered in 1969.
Viciedo will no doubt be called back up in September, if not before then, so he’ll have more chances to draw a free pass before the season ends, but for now he stands as one of the most hacktastic players in baseball history.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)