Aug 13, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Mark Teahen is scheduled to return from the disabled list today after missing the past 10 weeks with a broken finger and to make room for him on the roster the White Sox have demoted 20-year-old rookie Dayan Viciedo back to Triple-A.
With a .268 batting average and nine extra-base hits in 27 games since his June call-up Viciedo held his own as a hitter in his first taste of the majors, but his plate discipline was abysmal. He struck out 16 times in 82 trips to the plate … and drew zero walks.
So, despite hitting .268 with good power he managed a measly .720 OPS that included making an amazing 65 outs in 83 plate appearances thanks to a .268 on-base percentage and grounding into five plays.
To put his lack of patience in context, consider that only 10 non-pitchers have accumulated more than 83 plate appearances in a season without drawing a single walk since the mound was lowered in 1969.
Viciedo will no doubt be called back up in September, if not before then, so he’ll have more chances to draw a free pass before the season ends, but for now he stands as one of the most hacktastic players in baseball history.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 119
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 78
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (116)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)