Aug 13, 2010, 6:28 PM EDT
Agent Terry Bross said Friday that he and the Marlins are “involved” in preliminary discussions regarding a three-year deal for second baseman Dan Uggla.
Uggla is currently making $7.8 million in his next-to-last year of arbitration. It looked like he was going to be traded last winter, but most of his suitors were looking at him as a third baseman and Uggla made it very clear that he wouldn’t be happy if asked to switch positions.
The 30-year-old Uggla has already lasted longer at second than most thought he would. Plus, he’s currently in the midst of his best season to date, having hit .284/.372/.520 with 26 homers and 72 RBI in 113 games.
A third straight 30-homer, 90-RBI season will surely push Uggla’s 2011 salary over $10 million should he and the Marlins opt for a one-year deal. Something like $30 million over three years could work out for both sides. Uggla might be able to do considerably better as a free agent if he has another banner year in 2011, but given that second basemen can decline quickly in their early-30s, he’d be smart to take the money now.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)