Aug 13, 2010, 6:28 PM EST
Agent Terry Bross said Friday that he and the Marlins are “involved” in preliminary discussions regarding a three-year deal for second baseman Dan Uggla.
Uggla is currently making $7.8 million in his next-to-last year of arbitration. It looked like he was going to be traded last winter, but most of his suitors were looking at him as a third baseman and Uggla made it very clear that he wouldn’t be happy if asked to switch positions.
The 30-year-old Uggla has already lasted longer at second than most thought he would. Plus, he’s currently in the midst of his best season to date, having hit .284/.372/.520 with 26 homers and 72 RBI in 113 games.
A third straight 30-homer, 90-RBI season will surely push Uggla’s 2011 salary over $10 million should he and the Marlins opt for a one-year deal. Something like $30 million over three years could work out for both sides. Uggla might be able to do considerably better as a free agent if he has another banner year in 2011, but given that second basemen can decline quickly in their early-30s, he’d be smart to take the money now.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 8
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)