Aug 13, 2010, 6:28 PM EST
Agent Terry Bross said Friday that he and the Marlins are “involved” in preliminary discussions regarding a three-year deal for second baseman Dan Uggla.
Uggla is currently making $7.8 million in his next-to-last year of arbitration. It looked like he was going to be traded last winter, but most of his suitors were looking at him as a third baseman and Uggla made it very clear that he wouldn’t be happy if asked to switch positions.
The 30-year-old Uggla has already lasted longer at second than most thought he would. Plus, he’s currently in the midst of his best season to date, having hit .284/.372/.520 with 26 homers and 72 RBI in 113 games.
A third straight 30-homer, 90-RBI season will surely push Uggla’s 2011 salary over $10 million should he and the Marlins opt for a one-year deal. Something like $30 million over three years could work out for both sides. Uggla might be able to do considerably better as a free agent if he has another banner year in 2011, but given that second basemen can decline quickly in their early-30s, he’d be smart to take the money now.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)