Aug 13, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
Not exactly what you want to hear if you are Braves fan. According to felt pain in his broken right pinky finger when he took batting practice indoors Friday.
“The vibration is bothering me,” Prado said. “It stings a little bit.”
“They told me it won’t be easy,” Prado said. “It’s not going to go away.
I’m just trying to get all my strength back. A little bit of pain won’t
be a problem.”
Prado is eligible to return from the disabled list on Sunday, however Braves manager Bobby Cox doesn’t think his All-Star second baseman will be ready that quickly. For now, Prado will see how his finger responds on Saturday. The good news is that hasn’t had any issues fielding ground balls or soft-tossing thus far.
“I wish I could tell you how long it’s going to take,” Prado said. “I’m going to do as much as I can to get back.”
Prado was batting .315/.357/.484 with 13 homers and 43 RBI before going on the disabled list on July 31.
The Braves haven’t vocalized a clear plan on a replacement at third base now that Chipper Jones is lost for the season and Prado’s recovery likely plays a part in that. The ideal scenario would be to keep Omar Infante at second base and move Prado over to third, but it won’t be realistic if he doesn’t feel comfortable making long throws across the diamond.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 104
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 74
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (106)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)