Aug 13, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Buck Showalter isn’t wasting any time making changes in Baltimore, saying earlier this week that Alfredo Simon is far from guaranteed to remain the Orioles’ closer and indicating last night that the team may use a six-man starting rotation in September.
It’s something that we have kicked around a little bit depending on what the needs of the guys are. I don’t think we’re at that point. We’ll try to let them finish off the year and when we get to September, we’ll see what’s best for everybody.
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes that going to a six-man rotation would give Showalter an opportunity to evaluate one extra young pitcher, such as Chris Tillman, Zach Britton, or Rick VandenHurk, while also limiting the workload of current rookie starters Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta.
Zrebiec adds that the extra rest from a six-man rotation “would likely be viewed unfavorably by veterans Kevin Millwood and Jeremy Guthrie, who want to pitch every five days and finish out the season strong.” Of course, Millwood is a 35-year-old impending free agent with a 5.74 ERA and 2-12 record, so I’m not sure why the Orioles are even sticking with him at this point, let alone actually caring what he’d view “unfavorably.”
- The beauty of belief 21
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)