Aug 13, 2010, 12:50 PM EST
Buck Showalter isn’t wasting any time making changes in Baltimore, saying earlier this week that Alfredo Simon is far from guaranteed to remain the Orioles’ closer and indicating last night that the team may use a six-man starting rotation in September.
It’s something that we have kicked around a little bit depending on what the needs of the guys are. I don’t think we’re at that point. We’ll try to let them finish off the year and when we get to September, we’ll see what’s best for everybody.
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes that going to a six-man rotation would give Showalter an opportunity to evaluate one extra young pitcher, such as Chris Tillman, Zach Britton, or Rick VandenHurk, while also limiting the workload of current rookie starters Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta.
Zrebiec adds that the extra rest from a six-man rotation “would likely be viewed unfavorably by veterans Kevin Millwood and Jeremy Guthrie, who want to pitch every five days and finish out the season strong.” Of course, Millwood is a 35-year-old impending free agent with a 5.74 ERA and 2-12 record, so I’m not sure why the Orioles are even sticking with him at this point, let alone actually caring what he’d view “unfavorably.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)