Aug 13, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Many fans and prospect analysts mocked the Pirates for selecting Clemson reliever Daniel Moskos with the fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft when Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters was still available.
Wieters has been a disappointment so far, hitting just .267/.331/.393 in 188 games for the Orioles after arriving in the majors last May with an incredible amount of hype, but he remains a potential star and Moskos is still in the minors at age 24. In fact, he’s struggled so much that the Pirates just demoted him from Triple-A to Double-A.
Moskos earned a midseason promotion by posting a 1.45 ERA and 30/9 K/BB ratio in 31 innings at Double-A to begin this year, but went 0-5 with an ugly 10.38 ERA in 19 appearances at Triple-A to get a quick trip back to the lower level.
His overall numbers in the minors are sub par, although he spent the past two seasons struggling as a starter before moving back to the bullpen full time this year. Still, in a draft that has already sent Wieters, David Price, Jason Heyward, Madison Bumgarner, Mike Stanton, Matt LaPorta, J.P. Arencibia, Rick Porcello, Brett Cecil, Tommy Hunter, and Julio Borbon to the majors Moskos sticks out like a sore thumb.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)