Aug 13, 2010, 1:18 PM EST
Many fans and prospect analysts mocked the Pirates for selecting Clemson reliever Daniel Moskos with the fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft when Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters was still available.
Wieters has been a disappointment so far, hitting just .267/.331/.393 in 188 games for the Orioles after arriving in the majors last May with an incredible amount of hype, but he remains a potential star and Moskos is still in the minors at age 24. In fact, he’s struggled so much that the Pirates just demoted him from Triple-A to Double-A.
Moskos earned a midseason promotion by posting a 1.45 ERA and 30/9 K/BB ratio in 31 innings at Double-A to begin this year, but went 0-5 with an ugly 10.38 ERA in 19 appearances at Triple-A to get a quick trip back to the lower level.
His overall numbers in the minors are sub par, although he spent the past two seasons struggling as a starter before moving back to the bullpen full time this year. Still, in a draft that has already sent Wieters, David Price, Jason Heyward, Madison Bumgarner, Mike Stanton, Matt LaPorta, J.P. Arencibia, Rick Porcello, Brett Cecil, Tommy Hunter, and Julio Borbon to the majors Moskos sticks out like a sore thumb.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)