Aug 13, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Many fans and prospect analysts mocked the Pirates for selecting Clemson reliever Daniel Moskos with the fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft when Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters was still available.
Wieters has been a disappointment so far, hitting just .267/.331/.393 in 188 games for the Orioles after arriving in the majors last May with an incredible amount of hype, but he remains a potential star and Moskos is still in the minors at age 24. In fact, he’s struggled so much that the Pirates just demoted him from Triple-A to Double-A.
Moskos earned a midseason promotion by posting a 1.45 ERA and 30/9 K/BB ratio in 31 innings at Double-A to begin this year, but went 0-5 with an ugly 10.38 ERA in 19 appearances at Triple-A to get a quick trip back to the lower level.
His overall numbers in the minors are sub par, although he spent the past two seasons struggling as a starter before moving back to the bullpen full time this year. Still, in a draft that has already sent Wieters, David Price, Jason Heyward, Madison Bumgarner, Mike Stanton, Matt LaPorta, J.P. Arencibia, Rick Porcello, Brett Cecil, Tommy Hunter, and Julio Borbon to the majors Moskos sticks out like a sore thumb.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)