Aug 13, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Many fans and prospect analysts mocked the Pirates for selecting Clemson reliever Daniel Moskos with the fourth overall pick in the 2007 draft when Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters was still available.
Wieters has been a disappointment so far, hitting just .267/.331/.393 in 188 games for the Orioles after arriving in the majors last May with an incredible amount of hype, but he remains a potential star and Moskos is still in the minors at age 24. In fact, he’s struggled so much that the Pirates just demoted him from Triple-A to Double-A.
Moskos earned a midseason promotion by posting a 1.45 ERA and 30/9 K/BB ratio in 31 innings at Double-A to begin this year, but went 0-5 with an ugly 10.38 ERA in 19 appearances at Triple-A to get a quick trip back to the lower level.
His overall numbers in the minors are sub par, although he spent the past two seasons struggling as a starter before moving back to the bullpen full time this year. Still, in a draft that has already sent Wieters, David Price, Jason Heyward, Madison Bumgarner, Mike Stanton, Matt LaPorta, J.P. Arencibia, Rick Porcello, Brett Cecil, Tommy Hunter, and Julio Borbon to the majors Moskos sticks out like a sore thumb.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)