Aug 13, 2010, 12:22 PM EST
UPDATE: Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that the Royals have sent Jose Guillen and cash to the Giants in exchange for a player to be named player.
10:30 AM: A rival executive tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that a deal sending Guillen to the Giants is “done.”
8:35 AM: ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that the Giants are close to completing a trade for Jose Guillen. It sounds like a deal is awful close, because Rojas writes that Guillen could be in uniform for Friday’s opener against the first-place Padres.
Guillen was designated for assignment by the Royals last Thursday. It’s not known how the money will break down, but the 34-year-old is still owed a little over $3 million for the rest of the season. You’d have to think the Royals would chip in.
We’ve heard the Giants mentioned as a possible destination for several weeks now, but it’s not really clear where he’ll fit in with the club. Guillen hasn’t played in the outfield regularly since last season — and he was pretty awful when doing so — but reputation aside, he can still be a pretty decent righty bat off the bench for a contending club.
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (371)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (134)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)