Aug 13, 2010, 12:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that the Royals have sent Jose Guillen and cash to the Giants in exchange for a player to be named player.
10:30 AM: A rival executive tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that a deal sending Guillen to the Giants is “done.”
8:35 AM: ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that the Giants are close to completing a trade for Jose Guillen. It sounds like a deal is awful close, because Rojas writes that Guillen could be in uniform for Friday’s opener against the first-place Padres.
Guillen was designated for assignment by the Royals last Thursday. It’s not known how the money will break down, but the 34-year-old is still owed a little over $3 million for the rest of the season. You’d have to think the Royals would chip in.
We’ve heard the Giants mentioned as a possible destination for several weeks now, but it’s not really clear where he’ll fit in with the club. Guillen hasn’t played in the outfield regularly since last season — and he was pretty awful when doing so — but reputation aside, he can still be a pretty decent righty bat off the bench for a contending club.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 44
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)