Aug 13, 2010, 12:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that the Royals have sent Jose Guillen and cash to the Giants in exchange for a player to be named player.
10:30 AM: A rival executive tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that a deal sending Guillen to the Giants is “done.”
8:35 AM: ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that the Giants are close to completing a trade for Jose Guillen. It sounds like a deal is awful close, because Rojas writes that Guillen could be in uniform for Friday’s opener against the first-place Padres.
Guillen was designated for assignment by the Royals last Thursday. It’s not known how the money will break down, but the 34-year-old is still owed a little over $3 million for the rest of the season. You’d have to think the Royals would chip in.
We’ve heard the Giants mentioned as a possible destination for several weeks now, but it’s not really clear where he’ll fit in with the club. Guillen hasn’t played in the outfield regularly since last season — and he was pretty awful when doing so — but reputation aside, he can still be a pretty decent righty bat off the bench for a contending club.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)