Aug 13, 2010, 12:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that the Royals have sent Jose Guillen and cash to the Giants in exchange for a player to be named player.
10:30 AM: A rival executive tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that a deal sending Guillen to the Giants is “done.”
8:35 AM: ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that the Giants are close to completing a trade for Jose Guillen. It sounds like a deal is awful close, because Rojas writes that Guillen could be in uniform for Friday’s opener against the first-place Padres.
Guillen was designated for assignment by the Royals last Thursday. It’s not known how the money will break down, but the 34-year-old is still owed a little over $3 million for the rest of the season. You’d have to think the Royals would chip in.
We’ve heard the Giants mentioned as a possible destination for several weeks now, but it’s not really clear where he’ll fit in with the club. Guillen hasn’t played in the outfield regularly since last season — and he was pretty awful when doing so — but reputation aside, he can still be a pretty decent righty bat off the bench for a contending club.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)