Aug 13, 2010, 12:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star confirms that the Royals have sent Jose Guillen and cash to the Giants in exchange for a player to be named player.
10:30 AM: A rival executive tells Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that a deal sending Guillen to the Giants is “done.”
8:35 AM: ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that the Giants are close to completing a trade for Jose Guillen. It sounds like a deal is awful close, because Rojas writes that Guillen could be in uniform for Friday’s opener against the first-place Padres.
Guillen was designated for assignment by the Royals last Thursday. It’s not known how the money will break down, but the 34-year-old is still owed a little over $3 million for the rest of the season. You’d have to think the Royals would chip in.
We’ve heard the Giants mentioned as a possible destination for several weeks now, but it’s not really clear where he’ll fit in with the club. Guillen hasn’t played in the outfield regularly since last season — and he was pretty awful when doing so — but reputation aside, he can still be a pretty decent righty bat off the bench for a contending club.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)