Aug 13, 2010, 2:07 PM EDT
Rarely do Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times and Dave Cameron of U.S.S. Mariner agree on something, but amid speculation that the Braves are interested in Chone Figgins as a possible replacement for Chipper Jones they both think the Mariners would be smart to deal him.
Baker argues that Figgins is redundant with Ichiro Suzuki around, while Cameron argues that Figgins isn’t a good fit because the Mariners aren’t as close to being consistent contenders as they believed when signing him this offseason.
Figgins has three years and $27 million left on his contract, so he’ll definitely clear waivers (if he hasn’t already) and can be traded anywhere. Clearly how much of that contract another team is willing to assume will be the sticking point.
According to Baker the Braves feel Figgins is worth around $6 million per season, in which case they’d presumably want the Mariners to eat about $9 million in total salary. Cameron suggests a potential solution for that would be for the Braves to include Kenshin Kawakami and his $6.7 million salary for next season in the deal, in part because he helps make the money aspect work and in part because he could be a useful back-of-the-rotation starter in Seattle.
Either way, if reports of the Braves having interest in Figgins before Jones went down for the season were true, the two sides seemingly should be able to work something out.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)