Aug 13, 2010, 2:07 PM EDT
Rarely do Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times and Dave Cameron of U.S.S. Mariner agree on something, but amid speculation that the Braves are interested in Chone Figgins as a possible replacement for Chipper Jones they both think the Mariners would be smart to deal him.
Baker argues that Figgins is redundant with Ichiro Suzuki around, while Cameron argues that Figgins isn’t a good fit because the Mariners aren’t as close to being consistent contenders as they believed when signing him this offseason.
Figgins has three years and $27 million left on his contract, so he’ll definitely clear waivers (if he hasn’t already) and can be traded anywhere. Clearly how much of that contract another team is willing to assume will be the sticking point.
According to Baker the Braves feel Figgins is worth around $6 million per season, in which case they’d presumably want the Mariners to eat about $9 million in total salary. Cameron suggests a potential solution for that would be for the Braves to include Kenshin Kawakami and his $6.7 million salary for next season in the deal, in part because he helps make the money aspect work and in part because he could be a useful back-of-the-rotation starter in Seattle.
Either way, if reports of the Braves having interest in Figgins before Jones went down for the season were true, the two sides seemingly should be able to work something out.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 11
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 64
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 48
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)