Aug 13, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT
Now that the Rangers sale is finally complete, longtime owner Tom Hicks issued the following statement saying, more or less, goodbye:
Obviously, this is a bittersweet moment for our family because these past 12 years with the Rangers have produced a remarkable experience for all of us. I sincerely think the two major turning points in this franchise involved naming Jon Daniels general manager and Nolan Ryan becoming club president.
Chuck Greenberg and Nolan take control of a club that is well-positioned to compete, not only this year but for many years to come. There is much that we will miss; however, this sale has produced an outcome that is positive for the Texas Rangers, Major League Baseball and even for the lenders.
Most importantly, a strong leadership team will be in place to help guide the franchise to the next level. I look forward to joining all the other Rangers fans that cheer for this team to have success come October.
Something tells me if Hicks actually joins “all the other Rangers fans” in October he won’t be hearing a whole lot of cheering in his section.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)